cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee ePO cold standby

Jump to solution
Can I setup 2 x ePO (1 active, 1 cold stanby), both using same IP address and hostname. At the time, I only turn on ePO1 and all the agents will report to ePO1. In case ePO1 is down, manually turn on ePO2, and the agents can report to ePO2? (As both ePO are same hostname and IP address). My objective is just ensure agents can download the updates, DAT from ePO, database synchronization and logs are least priority. Thanks
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Re: McAfee ePO cold standby

Jump to solution

That should be ok as long as the snapshot was recent and no major changes made after that was done.  You have to take the snapshot via server task snapshot for disaster recovery, then back up the database when that is complete and also as precaution, take also file system backup of epo (kb66616).  

The one thing I see that might not be a good thing is if the epo server is on the domain or not.  You can't have both of them on the domain with the same host name and if one is on domain and the other is not, then their fqdn is not the same and they aren't necessarily the same system.  Also dns might not contain info on the non-domain server.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Nielsb
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Your cold standy server will be out of sync or too old. Your setup will work with an full backup of the ePO1 VM.

I would go for a 2 node cluster SQL always-on cluster (in 2 data centers)

and ePO virtual server, daily full VM backup to 2nd datacenter.

In case of emergeny restore the ePO VM of last night and your up and running in max 2 hours.
This works and tested by myself

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. If I have performed ePO server snapshot from ePO 1 (before it goes down), and restore it from ePO2, will the existing agents report to ePO2? 

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

That should be ok as long as the snapshot was recent and no major changes made after that was done.  You have to take the snapshot via server task snapshot for disaster recovery, then back up the database when that is complete and also as precaution, take also file system backup of epo (kb66616).  

The one thing I see that might not be a good thing is if the epo server is on the domain or not.  You can't have both of them on the domain with the same host name and if one is on domain and the other is not, then their fqdn is not the same and they aren't necessarily the same system.  Also dns might not contain info on the non-domain server.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Thanks for the comments and information. Will test this out.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community