cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee ePO Client task to update service packs and patches - problems

Jump to solution

I am looking for ways to trouble shoot my below problems

I am updating from HIPS 8 P2 to HIPS 8 P4.

my environment I have 3 ePOs on 3 physically separate networks.

Windows server 2008 R2

ePO 4.6.7

MA 4.8

I have loaded HIPS 8 P4 and 4-5 hotfixes into the ePO all in the EVAL branch

I am running a client task that runs daily from 8am to 5pm that will repeat every 15 minutes with missed task running 5 minute delay

I have created an agent policy against a couple test systems to check the EVAL branch for HIPS. When the task runs against the systems it keeps reporting back in the status monitor

Schedular invoking task..... (task name). Then the next line in agent status

next time of task: task name daily update is :Never.

I have done this on the other two ePO and they pull the patches and hotfixes down from the EVAL branch with out any issues. I am not sure what is preventing this from happy on my 3rd ePO. Looking for ways to trouble shoot this and see where I am going wrong

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 18

Re: Re: McAfee ePO Client task to update service packs and patches - problems

Jump to solution

Also found below logs from Agent log file,

2015-02-10 09:23:00.673 I #496 Sched   VSE Install - Last run time(local) is Tue Feb 10 09:06:31 2015

2015-02-10 09:23:00.673 I #496 Sched

2015-02-10 09:23:00.673 I #496 Sched End of invoking the task

2015-02-10 09:23:00.673 I #496 Sched Task conflict is detected, task   HIPS Install of EPOAGENT3000 is waiting for execution

2015-02-10 09:23:00.673 I #496 Sched Task conflict is detected, task   PA Install of EPOAGENT3000 is waiting for execution

2015-02-10 09:23:00.673 I #496 Sched Task conflict is detected, task   DLP Install of EPOAGENT3000 is waiting for execution

Also suggest to disable all other product install task from ePO console and enable only HIPS install task.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: McAfee ePO Client task to update service packs and patches - problems

Jump to solution

Hello,

Looks like issue with McAfee Agent general policy setting. Could you please check below option for me and confirm if its correct?

ScreenShot_ 20.16 05-Feb-15.jpg

Make sure you select Evaluation branch in agent general policy.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

In your screen shot the only change I made was to have Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0.0 changed to the evaluation branch

I left the HIP content in current since I check that content straight into current for I am not testing the security content just the Patches and Service Packs

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Jump to solution

After making changes in McAfee Agent policy, Are you still facing the same issue? Have you checked locally on few machines for HIPS version details?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

What I mean, I already had those changes in place before I posted the question on this board.  2 of my ePO's everything is working just fine. The third one I set everything up the same and trying to figure out why it keeps saying next task update, never. When it should be pulling down the patches for HIPS. I was wondering how I go about debugging this issue

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Jump to solution

Can I have McAfee HIPS installation log file to check error codes, Also McAfee Agent log file.

C:\Windows\Temp\McAfeeLogs\McAfeeHip8_*.log

Highlighted

Jump to solution

for sure ! it will have to wait till Monday when I make it back to work. thanks for the help. Curious to see what is happening. I am sure if I switched it to current branch it would work but really curious why its not working now

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Attached are the log files you asked for. Figured you want the HIPS patch log instead of McAfeeHIP8 since there wasn't an updated log for HIP8

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Jump to solution

Looks like McAfee IPS is blocking the upgrade. Please do below test on few machines and see if it is working or not.

1. Disable McAfee IPS through ePO policies on few machines.

2. Apply McAfee HIPS upgrade deployment task on them and see if it is reporting with Patch 4 or not.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

changed IPS from blocking HIGH-MED to logging only. Let you know in a minute or so if it takes

I am constantly looking to improve my log reading. What entry did you notice that the IPS was blocking this ?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community