Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ptrainor
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

McAfee ePO 5.11 Deprovision Agent Task

1.  Can anyone tell me what the "Deprovision Agent" action is under <System Tree><Actions><Agent><Deprovision Agent>?  I cannot find anything that describes the action and just need to understand what this does. 

2. Is there a document that covers this description because I cannot find that eitehr?

3. What I was trying to figure out is this an option for removing the McAfee Agent from an asset or is the only methods for removing the agent is to go to <Actions><Directory Management><Delete> or running the command frminst.exe /forceuninstall to remove the agent.

What I am trying to test is the agent communication on 8081 somehow interfering with the operation of a specific piece of software that also communicates on 8081 which interrupts its operation failing an internal operation.  The vendor seems to think this is a known issue though I have never seen the agent create this type of issue.  ENS yes but that can be mitigated via exceptions.

Thank you!!!

5 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee ePO 5.11 Deprovision Agent Task

Can you clarify what version of epo you are running?  There is no 5.11 version and in my 5.10, I don't have deprovision agent option.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Either way, deprovisioning doesn't remove the agent - that is typically associated with vdi mode.  You would need to remove agent manually.  Otherwise rather than removing agent, you can test by disabling self protection and stop all 3 agent services so it is not listening on that port.

You can also avoid the conflict completely by going to server settings, ports, and reset the agent wakeup port to something other than 8081.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

ptrainor
Level 7
Message 4 of 6

You are correct in that the version is 5.10 ( it appears I got a bit happy with the number 1).  I did think of just going back to change the port to something other than 8081 but didn't know if changing it for just one application on one machine was justification enough to change the port until it was verified that port 8018 was the culprit.  I can go down that road when needed.  Is there a recommended alternative port that McAfee suggests when default ports cannot be used?

Thanks for the support and suggestions.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Port 8081 is a pretty easy port to change that has much less impact than changing any others.  We don't have a recommended one, just something that wouldn't normally be in use.  8089, for example, might be one that is not very likely to be in use.

Was my reply helpful?

aguevara
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

To answer your initial question, indeed the "Deprovision Agent" option is something to be used with Mcafee Agents installed on VDI systems and that particular option exist on later versions of the agent, for instance this is my ePO with the agent extension 5.6.6

Deprovision.png

A full explanation of how VDI works is on the Registered article below:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB88533

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community