cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee agent on EPO 4.5 server?

Jump to solution

Does the McAfee agent (framepkg.exe) have to be installed on the actual EPO 4.5 server itself?

Any problems if it 'manages" itself?

I just noticed that my old EPO 3.6 server sees itself, but my new EPO 4.5 server does not (so I'm assuming it does not have the framepkg.exe installed automatically like it did with 3.6)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: McAfee agent on EPO 4.5 server?

Jump to solution

Correct - ePO 4.5 doesn't install an agent on the server by default. By all means install one if there are products on the server that you wish to control - but ePO itself does not need an agent to function.

HTH -

Joe

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Correct - ePO 4.5 doesn't install an agent on the server by default. By all means install one if there are products on the server that you wish to control - but ePO itself does not need an agent to function.

HTH -

Joe

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks Joe.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't blow things up by putting EPO agent on the server running EPO server.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Joe,

But can I add ePO server 4.5 itself to My Organization container so I can manage it?

Thanks,

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

sure. The ePO server also is a machine and can be added into the ePO system tree under either at 'My organization' or at any sub-directories  of ePO system tree.

The ePO server is also machine like other client machines.

Highlighted
Level 14
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Joe,

I read with interest that ePo 4.5 does not deploy its agent by default on ePO server installation. Could you tell me, why is there a warning in the ePO 4.5 install guide, that the Access Protection module of VirusScan Enterprise installed on the server need be disabled otherwise the ePO server installation fails?

I was under the impression that this prerequisite is for the framepkg.exe installation during ePO server installation. And I stated falsely on other post that an agent is installed by default.

Attila

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

I believe this is because the default access protection rules will prevent the ePO installer from creating registry keys and values under HKLM\Software\Network Associates and / or McAfee, which would cause the install to fail.

HTH -

Joe

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community