Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccastbr
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Agent for Linux

Jump to solution

With the newer versions of the McAfee Agent (5.6.6) has a provision been added that would allow the ePO to deploy the agent to Linux systems using the "-r" flag to run macmnsvc as a root user during installation/upgrade.      Alternately, is there an ability to create an rpm package with the "-r" flag?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Re: McAfee Agent for Linux

Jump to solution

At this time, those are the only options.  There is no rpm that will use -r.  You can submit PER for it - KB60021.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

I am not aware of any, the -r is typically used with install.sh.  You could configure the rpm to run under sudo account?  I don't know how you are deploying it - running it manually or via 3rd party deployment?  

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/agent-5.6.x-installation-guide/page/GUID-5E215352-6764-476B-B7A4-0A26...

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

ccastbr
Level 10
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

For all new RHEL VMs that are spun up we have a third-party tool install the agent.    The install.sh is supplied from the ePO and the agent is installed ./install.sh -i -r  

For upgrades, if the agent is communicating, an EEDK with the full command line can be issued to agents, however, the first time install, or an install on a rogue, cannot be accomplished from the ePO.   

It would be terrific is there was a way to create the rpm install package with the same path the -r flag would take.   Then the third party tool could easily use a yum install. 

Thanks for the reply!

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Doesn't yum run under root credentials?  It would seem to me that would be a requirement since it installs even kernel level software.  Creating the rpm should be sufficient, as that is listed in the install guide as a valid install method for Linux servers.

Was my reply helpful?

ccastbr
Level 10
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

The issue has nothing to do with yum or running the installer as root.    The issue is being able to issue the command line:     ./install.sh -i -r         so the -r can indicate to the installer that macmnsvc will be installed to run as root.     The port we need to listen to for wake-up is a privileged port.         Using "deploy agent" does not use the "-r" flag.     

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

At this time, those are the only options.  There is no rpm that will use -r.  You can submit PER for it - KB60021.

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community