Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

McAfee Agent 4.5.0.1499 Won't Connect to ePO Server when included on an image

Hi,

I've got a issue with the Agent 4.5.0.1499 not being able to connect to the ePO server after an image is deployed to a new computer.  The agent is included as part of the image and the image does use SysPrep so that it should be getting a new SID.  The computer is running Windows 7 and the server is Server 2008.

When I try to run the McAfee Agent Status Monitor and do a Collect and Send Props it is coming back with the message that says it can't communicate with the ePO server.

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks!

8 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 9

Re: McAfee Agent 4.5.0.1499 Won't Connect to ePO Server when included on an image

And you've deleted the guid from the image correct?  We've actually seen similiar behavior with broken agents on newly built images of all types but we don't control the images or build process so it's been a struggle to pinpoint the exact cause.

Andrew

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9

Re: McAfee Agent 4.5.0.1499 Won't Connect to ePO Server when included on an image

Not sure on that.  How do you delete the GUID?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9

I think there is probably a KB on this (i saw one for Mac) but a quick google search also turned up this:

The information for including the ePO agent in an image is located in the Deploying Agents, Super Agents, and Sensors chapter under the Other ways to deploy the agent section of the ePO Product Guide.

Try that and see if it helps...

Andrew

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 9

and more...

Including the agent on an image
When you include the McAfee Agent on an image, you must remove its GUID from the registry.
This allows subsequently installed agent images to generate their own GUID at their first
agent-server communication.
CAUTION: If you don't follow this step, all deployed agent images have the same GUID, and
must be changed manually. In a large organization, this is impractical. Although you can configure
the ePO server to identify replicated GUIDs and assign a new GUID at the next agent-server
communication, the action consumes considerable processing bandwidth. For information, see
Identifying and correcting a duplicate GUID.
Task
On the imaged system, locate the registry key for the agent and remove it. The registry keys
are located at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent\AgentGUID

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9

Thanks!  I will check this out and see if it helps.

What did you type in the Google search to find it?

I'll let you know what I find out.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9

There are two regkeys you should delete

AgentGuid and MacAddress

Both are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent

There are a few technotes on the issue. Search KB.McAfee.com for the two terms above.

JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 9

Strictly speaking, you only need to remove the AgentGuid value - the macaddress one is dynamic - but removing them both won't really hurt

The most important thing to stress is that you must delete the entire value - NOT just clear its data. (i.e. right-click on the agentguid value and select Delete: NOT double click it and delete the data.)

HTH -

Joe

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 9

Hi,

Thanks for all the help.  Deleting those registry keys for the GUID solved the problem.  Thanks again!

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community