Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gene0915
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

MA 5.7.1.116 communication problem

Jump to solution

When upgrading the agent from 5.6.5 to 5.7.1 with the /forceinstall switch, the agent can no longer talk to the ePO server. Anyone else seeing something similar?

When we deploy with the /forceinstall task, it breaks every time. Removing that install switch, or just double clicking on the FramePkg.exe, the upgrade to 5.7.1 is fine and agent-to-server communication works perfectly.

We had our scripting team package it up for SCCM deployment and while testing, I saw that communication is busted again. I have reached out to our scripter to see if he's using any switches when he calls the EXE.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gene0915
Level 9
Message 4 of 4

Re: MA 5.7.1.116 communication problem

Jump to solution

@Hawkmoon @cdinet 

Looks like it's a known bug: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB94195

In either case, our company will probably just stop using that switch.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

I would highly recommend not using forceinstalls.  That removes the existing agent, which may leave remnants, require a reboot to clear, and cause subsequent reinstalls to fail.  Forceinstall should only be used when absolutely necessary and certainly not as a normal practice.  Forceinstalls will also create duplicate entries in epo, as the guid will change.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi gene0915,

100% what cdinet says!

Some details for you that you may find intersting and helpful perhaps!

Duplicate systems in the System Tree after a McAfee Agent force installation over an existing version
Technical Articles ID:   KB86879

Troubleshooting duplicate system tree entries in ePolicy Orchestrator
Technical Articles ID:   KB93591

As an example of when  for the ‘/forceinstall’ switch is used/helpful would be as follows:

How to reset the McAfee Agent GUID if computers are not displayed in the ePolicy Orchestrator directory
Technical Articles ID:   KB56086

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

gene0915
Level 9
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

@Hawkmoon @cdinet 

Looks like it's a known bug: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB94195

In either case, our company will probably just stop using that switch.

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community