Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

LAzyCaching in SuperAgent

Jump to solution

Hello,

I use SA and have a daily task that updates all SA.

I'm not using LazyCaching at the moment, but is there any benefit of using LazyCaching? 

If I enable it then do I need to delete my daily SA update task?

(** below is what I have now)

McAfee.jpg

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Re: LAzyCaching in SuperAgent

Jump to solution

To clarify further the benefits of using lazy caching over replication, these are some things to consider.

1. Replication uses bandwidth for all the repositories being replicated at the same time.  With lazy caching, the repo server only pulls files that are requested from the clients on an as-needed basis.  So, for example, a package in the master repository is never needed or requested by clients, it won't be pulled across the network.  Replication will push it to repositories whether it is needed or not.

2. Using replication requires also managing schedules properly to ensure that your repository sites are always up to date sites.  Lazy caching ensures they are always up to date sites, no matter when a new content package or other package is checked in and no matter when a client requests it.

Never use replication if lazy caching is enabled, as that can lock files, cause replication to fail and clients fail to update from that repository.  It is either one or the other.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Hello,

A hierarchy of SuperAgents can serve agents in the same network with minimum network traffic utilization. A
SuperAgent caches the content updates for the McAfee ePO server or distributed repository and distributes
content updates to the agents in the network, reducing the wide area network traffic. It is always ideal to have
more than one SuperAgent to balance the network load.

A hierarchy of SuperAgents can serve agents in the same network with minimum network traffic utilization. A
SuperAgent caches the content updates for the McAfee ePO server or distributed repository and distributes
content updates to the agents in the network, reducing the wide area network traffic. It is always ideal to have
more than one SuperAgent to balance the network load.

I will suggest to stop the replication and try to use Lazy Caching and see how it goes.

If the lazy caching enabled, in that case you should not replicate any more. Disable all replication tasks and just let the lazy caching system do its thing.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Super Agent is a feature provided to decentralize the repository feature of ePO. Super Agent repositry allows you to make content readily available within their network. The Super Agent is a http repository provided by McAfee Agent as a feature that allows you to save a lot of bandwidth and load balancing of update requests to ePO.

Say if lazy caching is not enabled, when multiple agents require a file, they fetch it from the repository only if the content is already present, If the content is not present then another repository is used.

With Lazy Caching feature enabled you can avoid such failures where it goes and fetches the latest content as per its need. If the file is not present on the client machines where it is enabled, it will fetch from ePO. McAfee Agent maintains a cache manager in memory to maintain the different files from file system from parent repository and those being served. If the requested file is not present, it would reach out to ePO to get the file.

You do not need to replicate the super agent repositories if you have enabled Lazy caching as the whole purpose of Lazy caching is to remove the need for replication and reduce the bandwidth

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

To clarify further the benefits of using lazy caching over replication, these are some things to consider.

1. Replication uses bandwidth for all the repositories being replicated at the same time.  With lazy caching, the repo server only pulls files that are requested from the clients on an as-needed basis.  So, for example, a package in the master repository is never needed or requested by clients, it won't be pulled across the network.  Replication will push it to repositories whether it is needed or not.

2. Using replication requires also managing schedules properly to ensure that your repository sites are always up to date sites.  Lazy caching ensures they are always up to date sites, no matter when a new content package or other package is checked in and no matter when a client requests it.

Never use replication if lazy caching is enabled, as that can lock files, cause replication to fail and clients fail to update from that repository.  It is either one or the other.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community