cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation new ePO Server 5.1

Hi,

Can somebody please help me out here?

Currently our company has a ePO Server 4.6 running with 5 agent handlers and +- 800 agents. Now, we want to create  a new ePO server and start from scratch...

We want to start with a new installation of a 5.1 ePO server and maybe connect the old agent handlers to the new server.

My question is: can I connect the old agent handlers (4.6.6) to the new ePO 5.1 server? Or do I need to update them first.... Or what is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Pieter-jan

13 Replies

Re: Installation new ePO Server 5.1

I moved this from Community Help to ePO for better attention.

Volunteer Moderator

jappell
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 14

Hello,

Can you tell me what server version you are using for the agent handler? Hopefully you will meet the basic guidelines but this question does come up in class settings as well. Let me know if this helps.

agent 2014-08-21_8-23-20.jpg

We are using Windows Server 2008R2 (64bit).

The main problem/question is: Can I connect the OLD agent handlers 4.6.6 to the newly installed 5.1 ePO Server. And what is the best way to do it? They probably need to be updated first?

Hello, pieterjanolv,

According to me, firsly I think you have to upgrade in order your epo server from EPO4.6.6 to EPO5.1. In this case, the 5 agent handlers will all time be connected to the new EPO 5.1

Concerning the upgrade, there are two options:

1- upgrade on the same physical computer

2- upgrade from the old physical server to a new physical server.

In which case are you?

Hello pieterjanolv,

please read this:

Upgrade your remote Agent Handlers

When you upgrade your McAfee ePO server software, upgrade any remote Agent Handlers installed throughout your environment. Agent Handlers must be upgraded separately.

Remote Agent Handlers installed with previous versions of your software are not compatible with this new version, and are not upgraded automatically.

The upgrade process is a streamlined version of the procedure used for first-time installation of a remote Agent Handler, detailed in Install remote Agent Handlersunder Installing McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator software.

For more details see EPO 5.1 install guide at P47 https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/24000/PD24807/en_US/...

I don't want to upgrade the old ePO 4.6.6 server, but my head systemadministrator wants me to start from scratch.

So first I need to install the new ePO 5.1 server. After that, upgrade the agent handlers. And let them connect to the new ePO server.

Hi pieterjanolv,

During Agent handler installation you type the machine name of the McAfee ePO server with which the Agent Handler must communicate.

So even if you upgrade the agent handlers, Would you modify the name of your existing epo 4.6 that is already on the agent handlers?

Do not forget that the agents do already search for the EPO Server 4.6 using IP/hostname etc

Communications are also protected with server keys.

I think, it will not be an easy job to do.

It will be better to perform an upgrade!

The name and ip for the new ePO server will be different. Can I stop the agent handler service and delete the old agent handler? After that is it possible to reinstall the new agent handler and connect to the new ePO server?

ansarias
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 10 of 14

Hello,

Use ePO 5.1 Agent Handler package and after installation copy db.properties files of new ePO server to agent handler. it will work.

Make sure all required ports are opened on firewall end and locally server outbound network connection.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community