cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Upgrade ePo 4.6.6 (build 176) to ePO 5.10

Jump to solution

Hi,

I just want to ask if anyone could show me a step by step procedure on How to Upgrade ePo 4.6.6 (build 176) to ePO 5.10.

thanks so much

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to Upgrade ePo 4.6.6 (build 176) to ePO 5.10

Jump to solution

That is going to be a difficult process, as you have many things to consider.  First refer to kb51569 - under installation, upgrades and migration section, it lists supported upgrade paths.  4.6.6 is not one of them.  Here are the problems you are going to run into.

1.  The supported OS for the server is not going to meet requirements for 5.10, meaning OS that 4.6.6 supports, epo 5.10 most likely does not.

2.  Sql versions will run into the same lack of support scenario between the 2 versions.

3.  Supported extension versions also won't have a direct upgrade path.  Ones that are supported in 5.10 are not supported in 4.6.6

4.  You would have to upgrade in stages, which that process alone is time consuming, brings with it legacy issues/settings and requires different epo and sql servers for OS and SQL version support.

5.  You also need to look at the minimum supported managed product extensions in the same KB.  If you have products you are using that are no longer supported with 5.10, you may need to consider removing those products.  Keep in mind, for most of our products (I can't currently think of any exceptions), the extensions are backward compatible.  So, for example, you are running VirusScan - as long as the extension is upgraded to the latest version supported with 5.10, it will still manage the clients on lower patch versions.  However, if they are running VSE 8.7, for example, they would need to be upgraded to 8.8.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend upgrading at all.  Instead, I would set up a brand new epo server with newer version of sql that supports tls 1.2 and is running one of the latest operating systems.  Before installing epo, keep in mind that 5.10 has completely different tls requirements than 4.6 had.  So, to ensure the proper ciphers and tls requirements are met, download IISCrypto, run it on both epo and sql servers, choose best practices, then reboot.

Once you get the new epo server set up, use the transfer systems option in epo - instructions are listed in the product guide or KB79283.  Basically, you would want to set up your system tree first, make sure all the product extensions are checked in, import policies from old server and assign to groups, set up system tree sorting, if you are using it, and set up client tasks accordingly.  Once all that is set up in the new server, then you can begin transferring systems.  You might want to export your system tree structure also so that you have a record of systems that existed before.  That way you can validate if any are missing on the new server.  

If you are running any encryption products, check KB83186 for processes to transfer encrypted systems.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

That is going to be a difficult process, as you have many things to consider.  First refer to kb51569 - under installation, upgrades and migration section, it lists supported upgrade paths.  4.6.6 is not one of them.  Here are the problems you are going to run into.

1.  The supported OS for the server is not going to meet requirements for 5.10, meaning OS that 4.6.6 supports, epo 5.10 most likely does not.

2.  Sql versions will run into the same lack of support scenario between the 2 versions.

3.  Supported extension versions also won't have a direct upgrade path.  Ones that are supported in 5.10 are not supported in 4.6.6

4.  You would have to upgrade in stages, which that process alone is time consuming, brings with it legacy issues/settings and requires different epo and sql servers for OS and SQL version support.

5.  You also need to look at the minimum supported managed product extensions in the same KB.  If you have products you are using that are no longer supported with 5.10, you may need to consider removing those products.  Keep in mind, for most of our products (I can't currently think of any exceptions), the extensions are backward compatible.  So, for example, you are running VirusScan - as long as the extension is upgraded to the latest version supported with 5.10, it will still manage the clients on lower patch versions.  However, if they are running VSE 8.7, for example, they would need to be upgraded to 8.8.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend upgrading at all.  Instead, I would set up a brand new epo server with newer version of sql that supports tls 1.2 and is running one of the latest operating systems.  Before installing epo, keep in mind that 5.10 has completely different tls requirements than 4.6 had.  So, to ensure the proper ciphers and tls requirements are met, download IISCrypto, run it on both epo and sql servers, choose best practices, then reboot.

Once you get the new epo server set up, use the transfer systems option in epo - instructions are listed in the product guide or KB79283.  Basically, you would want to set up your system tree first, make sure all the product extensions are checked in, import policies from old server and assign to groups, set up system tree sorting, if you are using it, and set up client tasks accordingly.  Once all that is set up in the new server, then you can begin transferring systems.  You might want to export your system tree structure also so that you have a record of systems that existed before.  That way you can validate if any are missing on the new server.  

If you are running any encryption products, check KB83186 for processes to transfer encrypted systems.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Thank you so much @cdinet for the reply...

If I setup a brand new ePO server, how would the the clients or systems could communicate to the newly setup server if its pointing to the old one ..

thanks again

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

You would follow the steps I gave you already to migrate your existing systems to the new epo server.  

"Once you get the new epo server set up, use the transfer systems option in epo - instructions are listed in the product guide or KB79283.  Basically, you would want to set up your system tree first, make sure all the product extensions are checked in, import policies from old server and assign to groups, set up system tree sorting, if you are using it, and set up client tasks accordingly.  Once all that is set up in the new server, then you can begin transferring systems.  You might want to export your system tree structure also so that you have a record of systems that existed before.  That way you can validate if any are missing on the new server.  

If you are running any encryption products, check KB83186 for processes to transfer encrypted systems."

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

thank you so much @cdinet for your usual help.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

If we have less number of client machines then could do force MA install or else we can transfer machines to new ePO (5.10)

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB79283

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

That is where you follow the transfer systems procedure to migrate your systems from old epo to new.  See KB79283.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Hi @cdinet ,

We decided to setup a new ePO 5.10 server, I have a question though.. what should I do regarding the DLP endpoint  9.3 from the old ePO 4.6 server to the new ePO 5.10 which has DLP 11.5

thanks

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community