cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.

So we're migrating from ePO 4.6.6 to ePO 5.3 and have deployed a removal of all services on the old and have new deployments on the new one,

When we deploy the agents from the new ePO we get the following error "Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found."

I can confirm that all c$ shares are accessible on our machines, they are also reachable with 0% packet loss and our entire wan/lan is reachable across our subnets

All I have read so far is that the admin share is to blame, well it cant be since I can access it on the said machine unless this is DNS related ?

Thanks

Matt

6 Replies

Re: Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.

For anyone curious as to how we fixed this we changed it to check the IP before the hostname and it seemed to work normally, while our DNS is in great condition for lookups it would appear this is some sort of bug in the ePO.

Re: Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.

Where did you make the change to force it to look at IP before hostname?

moekhass
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 7

Hi, it is located under ePO server settings > agent contact method

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

for a system failing by host name, run nslookup for that system name and ensure the epo server is able to resolve them.  If not, check dns settings on the nic on epo server.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7

jvillafranco,

It appears to be available on 5.9.1 where Moe said it's located, it wasn't on 5.1.3.  That alone will fix a lot of my problems, since I have DCHP and DNS issues the network folks don't wish to fix.  It makes me glad I updated, just for that. 

HTH,

DocB

moekhass
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Glad your problem was resolved. For successful agent deployment from ePO, you must be able to map admin$ share. Some workgroup systems may fail to install agent and you get vague error message like these in the server task log despite having proper credentials:

Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.

Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: Access is denied.

Typical reasons for such failures may include:

1. The Client computer is down or not accessible (check physical connection, is the network port up?)
  2. "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is not enabled in the network adapter of the client computers. (type ncpa.cpl and check nic card property)
  3. Microsoft Firewall blocks the process. (disable or turn off firewall)
  4. Third-party Firewall blocks the process. (turn off firewall)
  5. Administrative Share (Admin$) on the client computer might have been disabled. (see - Can't access ADMIN$ share using a local user account – Support )

Perform some basic network troubleshooting. This indicates a problem with the workstation or network.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community