Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

EPO Deployment of Hotfix VSE85HF458640 for McShield high memory usuage

Has anyone deployed the hotfix VSE85HF458640 via EPO yet? This is the hotfix that fixes the issues where McAfee McShield consumes a lot of memory after an update. I have seen this issue on most of my test systems but not had any reports of people complaining about high memory usuage via the helpdesk.

I have never pushed out a hotfix but instead usually wait for the next Patch. Does anyone deploys hotfixes via EPO and seen any issues with these. Does anyone know when Patch 9 will be released for VSE 8.5i that will include this hotfix?
Labels (1)
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 2 of 11

RE: EPO Deployment of Hotfix VSE85HF458640 for McShield high memory usuage

We've VSE 8.5i Patch 7 in use and I needed to deploy this hotfix through EPo.
The update worked perfectly on all our systems and I deployed it through the DAT update task without any problems.
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the information. I will test it briefly in our test environment beofre deploying.
Highlighted

where can i get this hotfix?
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 5 of 11

Highlighted

Hi,
where can i say if the Hotfix has been installed?
Cant find anything in ePO or on "About Virusscan Enterprise"
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 7 of 11

Buh, that's a good question...
So far as I now, nowhere you can see that the hotfix is installed.
Only in the task manager.
The mcshield.exe should only use around 40 mb memory after the dat update instead of 100 mb and more before the hotfix installation.
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 11

This morning, we fully deployed this hotfix to over 1600 PC's. There is not report, in EPO, that can be run to show the systems that have the hotfix installed. However, I did noticed that if you look under the VSE General section for each client under EPO, then you will see a field called "Fixes". That is what I see for all my clients and it reports 458640. Just wish McAfee would have a report that can key on that field.
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 9 of 11

Thanks twenden - very important post.
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Based on previous forum entries, there is no way in EPO where you can see whether a hotfix is installed or not. It also does not appear in the VSE about screen. Looking in the McAfee knowledgebase it does mention that VirusScan 8.7i with EPO 4.0 will list hotfixes. I guess we are out of luck with VSE 8.5i.

On my test network the hotfix did install correctly and did reduce the memory from over 100MB to about 32MB. In the next few days, we are going to fully deploy this hotfix as we have a lot of systems that are older and which run memory around 256MB to 512MB. Due to this we are going to deploy. This is my first hotfix to push as we usually only push patches when they get released.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community