Did you mean: 
SJVAPCD
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

EPO Console "An unexpected error occurred while trying to handle your request."

Jump to solution

Quick rundown of what I've experienced.

• was modifying a server task that outputs a PDF report, ran it, was switched to "Server Tasks Log"
  • Server Tasks Log UI sat there loading for over 15 minutes. Logging out and back in, using different systems, etc, has the same result when attempting to see Server Tasks Log, it just never loads
  • Also noticed the MVISION Protection Workspace tab on the dashboard was missing... just gone
  • Rebooted - same
  • Restarted 3 main services, somewhere around 8 times - same result
  • -entered service request-
  • Got on SSMS and tried to query the Server Tasks Log table(s) - it never finished executing after 10 minutes
    • SELECT TOP 1 * FROM [ePO_XXXX].[dbo].[OrionSchedulerTaskLog]
      SELECT TOP 1 * FROM [ePO_XXXX].[dbo].[OrionSchedulerTaskLogDetail]
  • refreshed EPO console, sat loading w/o end
  • Rebooted hosting EPO server again - unable to log onto EPO console; also unable to load /core/config either...that one says "You don't have permission to access /core/config on this server."
  • purged some logs according to a few forum posts I've seen & kb articles
  • Looked for locks on those Server Tasks Log tables and found some, killed those tasks in SQL Server, was then able to query those tables successfully, but still unable to get into EPO console.
  • Attempting to get a support engineer since early this morning on the phone...still on hold after 4th call attempt.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 8

Re: EPO Console "An unexpected error occurred while trying to handle your request."

Jump to solution

Hello, 

This issue is caused by partial installed extension:

- The extension MVIS_EP_1000 is in a partially installed state.

Please see KB81737

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank You,

Siushan M.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SJVAPCD
Level 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: EPO Console "An unexpected error occurred while trying to handle your request."

Jump to solution

turned on debug logging, attached updated log including service restart & attempted console access activity...

Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello, 

This issue is caused by partial installed extension:

- The extension MVIS_EP_1000 is in a partially installed state.

Please see KB81737

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank You,

Siushan M.

View solution in original post

SJVAPCD
Level 8
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

I walked through that kb top to bottom. Still facing the same issue.

I'm currently walking through this one: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=kb69850

To see if that helps. So far nothing.. For some reason the /core/config interface refuses to load, so it's difficult to get past most steps in these kb's.

Latest orion log attached which includes all my attempts this morning.

Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

From latest log you have more in partial installed state:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The following extensions are in a partially installed state: [MVIS_EP_1000:21.7.0.4, MVISION_Insights:1.0.0.855, ProtectionWorkspace-services:1.0.0.1994, ProtectionWorkspace:1.0.0.2320, PerfOptimizer:2.2.0.112]

Did you perform EPO Restore recently?

Was my reply helpful?

Thank You,

Siushan M.
Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Can you please Private Message me your SR Number

Was my reply helpful?

Thank You,

Siushan M.
SJVAPCD
Level 8
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

@Siu 

It ended up being along the lines with what you mentioned. We had to remove 4 different extension packages and eventually reinstall them. It was tricky because they showed up differently in the logs.

This has been resolved.

Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Good to hear that my colleague called you to fix this issue yesterday. As we understand the problem is urgent, I found it was the best to raise this issue internally, so someone give you a call to restore EPO asap. 

Just to provide you some information about Partial Installed Extension for the future. The KB Article I have provided to you pretty much gives you the info, but let me summarize it.  

About the Error Message: 

Once you install an extension, it will be saved in following 3 locations: 

• \Server\conf\Catalina\localhost\<extension_name>.xml
  • \Server\Extensions\installed\<extension_name>\
  • Epo Database   select * from orionextensions order by name

So Partial Installed extensions error message means the data is missing in one or more locations from those 3. 

How to fix it:

Whenever we work on this issue, the first focus always should be on the Database OrionExtension Table. This is where we start to determine if the extension has to be either fully removed (you lost all data such as policy and task), or if we can still save the data if the data is in OrionExtension table. 

So in short: If you have the extension name displaying in OrionExtensiontable, then you can still save all the Policy/Task you have configured. 

So after you confirmed the Extension Version in OrionExtensions table, you review the other 2 locations to see if the file are present or what version they have. 

1. If the Folder/File is not present, then you can check-in the exact version on your test Server and copy the Folder/File from your test to the EPO Server. 

2. If the Folder/File version is present, but the versions are not the same, then you only have to match the version. Either by removing the latest extension folder (it always backs up the previous extension folder version), or by performing the same steps as number 1 if the version you looking for is not present. 

After you sorted out the extension under extensions/installed folder, you then just have to open the extension xml file and modify the extension version number, thats all. 

Note: As mentioned previously, as long as you have the extension in OrionExtensions table, you have pretty much all the Policy/Task configurations. The folder/files do not contain any of your configuration setting from EPO. 

Causes of the Issue: 

There are different cause of this problem, but most common one is: 

- During an Extension Upgrade or clean install, something went wrong and it did not install the extension properly. 

- EPO Disaster Recovery Store, Scenario:

1. You have run Disaster Recovery Snapshot Server Task, to save the 6 folders (including extensions folder) to EPO Database (OrionSnapshot Table). You then Forget to take a DB Backup at the same time. 

2. You check-in one or few more extensions to EPO. 

3. You now take EPO Database Backup, but did not run Disaster Recovery Snapshot task after installing the new Extensions. 

So now EPO goes down and all you have left is the EPO Database backup. Note that you have run Disaster Recovery Snapshot Server task, but that was before you checked-in the new extensions. That means once you perform restore, inside the extensions folder wont be the new extensions, but inside the Database under OrionExtensions Table will be, so the DR will fail with starting the Tomcat. - Invalid DR Backup. (Its possible to fix this, but best to call support)

For this reason we always recommend to Backup DB and the Folders same time as per KB66616. Or if you run Snapshot server task, then do the DB Backup same time before doing any major operation. (I personally recommend to have backup with both methods, KB66616 and DR Snapshot, in case something goes wrong with any of them)

Was my reply helpful?

Thank You,

Siushan M.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community