cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: EPO 4.6 released

Is there a trial available yet?  I'd like to demo this product in our organization...

Highlighted
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 14

No trial that I can see, you would probably need to go through sales to get a demo. If you've not used EPO before there's a lot to setup at first, so make sure you give yourself a bit of time to get everything going. Most important of all, read the manuals, they are very helpful and will shed some light on things you may not know exist. EPO server is pretty easy to use, I was thrown onto it one day and only had the previous server, which was managed by somebody who has about 1000 other things to do every day, and the manual to reference. If you use Active Directory you can import your AD tree and also deploy the EPO agent from the server without needing an EPO agent already installed on any system. That will save a ton of time, otherwise you have to create rules for each group in the system tree, and if youu need to create a lot of groups it can take a while. We don't use Active Directory so I have no idea how well those features works.

If you look at EPO server make sure you also look at the following features.

Distributed Repositories

Agent Handlers

Queries

Tagging (auto tagging systems reporting to the server)

There is one thing missing, I think; the ability to have one system in multiple groups. For example, when it comes time to deploy a new version of the EPO agent or VirusScan it would be nice to be able to create a Deployment group and add systems/groups to that group without also removing them from their group they are already in. You can simulate this with a tag, but it's not really the same thing.

Message was edited by: noah on 3/29/11 6:02:55 PM CDT
Level 12
Message 13 of 14

Personally, I think tagging is the superior solution here, as you can leave your ePO structure unaltered.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 14

Beginning with the ePO 4.5 release and continuing with ePO 4.6, the trial version of ePO uses the same binary as the licensed version.

If you do not enter a license key, the product functions in the evaluation mode and is good for 90 days from date of install. You will notice a "nag" footer on the logon page that includes the date of evaluation expiration. If you enter a valid McAfee license key, then the product is in licensed mode and there is no nag footer on the logon page.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community