cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Duplicate entries

Dear All,

We are running epo 5.10 with Agent 5.6.3, however, we have a headache of duplicate entries of machines. despite we remove agent guid etc. We still have the duplicate entries in place. We upgrade the agent on a machine to see an entry as well. Can anyone help us on this issue.

Venu
11 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 12

Re: Duplicate entries

When you are installing the agent, are you running any forceinstalls?  Duplicates are generally because the agent guid has changed on a system.  Are these virtual or physical systems?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

@cdinet 

Not certainly force installations, but we do push from the console. Most of them are laptops and they are not virtual machines any more. 

I do clear the Agent GUID sequence .. still not much help. I do have DE in place... but it is causing really a big trouble. kindly suggest.

Venu
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 12

When you push from the console, exactly what are your settings for the task?  You can look at one of the systems that is showing as duplicate.  What you would look for is in the windows\temp\mcafeelogs directory for the agent install logs.  Look at the most recent and it should show the command it ran - verify there is no forceinstall.  There may be a task somewhere or even logon script that you are unaware of that is doing it.  

You can also check the agent logs for any uuid changes that might cause it to regenerate a new agent guid.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 12

Did you check if the Agent was installed with forceinstall switch..?

Is MAC address and system name is same for all the duplicate entry...?

Are these machines are physical or virtual..?

Highlighted

@cdinet @Thussain 

So how to resolve this lingering issue?  The issue occured due to agent upgrade for sure. Now need to find a way to resolve the issue. As this is growing daily and causing a big time issue.

Let me know any possible work around if there is no solution.

Venu
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 12

@vnaidu When you compare the system properties of the original entry and duplicate entry of the system what do you find in common. Can you please share the entries of system properties of one machine (one being duplicate and one being original entry in the system tree). 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 12

To stop the issue from occurring, do not do any forceinstalls.  You never answered whether if you select one of the duplicates, they are all selected or not.  That can be an important matter about the issue.  The only way to remediate it is to delete the duplicate entries and not run any installs with forceinstall as option.  There is no need to do a forceinstall for an upgrade.  

If, when you select one and all the other copies of the system are selected, then go to actions and reset the columns back to default after taking note of any custom ones added.  You can then add them back one at a time to see which one is causing the issue.  As @msmiley pointed out, this can be due to remnants of an older version of a product remaining after an upgrade.  Sometimes deleting the system from the system tree and letting it check back in also resolves that, as it may just be stale properties.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 9 of 12

Did these duplicate systems have multiple different versions of products?  We've had issues with ENS 10.5 leaving registry entries behind on the system and that caused them to report multiple versions in the ePO console, which causes duplicate entries.

The only fix from support is to delete those older entries from the registry.  It's easy to confirm.  Just limit the number of columns in ePO to not show any version numbers and the duplicate will disappear.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 12

Thanks for that - good point.  You can validate the issue is due to non-default columns by the fact that if you select one system, the duplicates are also selected.  

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community