cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Galaxis
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 14

Re: Difference between in assigning the task or policies from ePO?

Found where the client task config in MFE client: "Common" settings; "Advanced", under "Tasks".  Still unclear, if a policy ODS task (from Policy Catalog) is created by itself/assigned to systems (no associated task scan w/ scheduling), how/when does that policy scan run on those assigned systems?  I can see it deployed, but w/out scheduling info, what triggers it.  From reading the ENS TP Product Guide, seems like a scan policy (from Pol Catalog) needs an associated (policy-based) client task ODS scans to run/schedule it

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 12 of 14

I had a nice long reply in my other post, but for some reason it didn't post.  So, I will try again.

To answer "Ok still confused about the interplay btw the (Task Catalog) task & (Policy Catalog) policy.  Maybe it would help to ask how I would go about scheduling a policy On-Demand scan? I don't see scheduling options (day of the week, etc.) defining from the Policy Catalog,"

Policies are only settings, not any actionable task.  The on demand scan policy contains the same settings as an on demand scan task would.  Why use policy vs task?  I can't answer that, as I don't see the point myself in having a policy for it - the ENS team may have a better understanding on why they decided to implement a policy for it.  To me it only adds confusion, but there may be a very good reason for it.  Ask that team.  However, here is the assignment options.

1.  For policy based scan, you would want the client to have that policy assigned so it has the right settings.  Then you go to client task assignments, new assignment, and assign an ens on demand policy based scan and schedule it there.  You are then just assigning a task where the settings are based on what the policy has set.  To be clear, the policy is only a set of settings and is not in itself a task.  When it becomes involved with a task is when an actual task is assigned based on that particular policy.

2.  For non-policy based scan, you just create an on demand scan task (not policy based) and configure the settings as desired and schedule it.

Tasks and policies can be assigned at my organization so all inherit, at group levels, or by selecting a specific client (one at a time), go to actions, agent, edit policy or task on single system and assign here as desired.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Galaxis
Level 9
Message 13 of 14

Thanks, that helps!  Come to think of it, wouldn't manually clicking "Scan System" in the ENS/MFE client at the endpoint systems be a trigger/invoke the deployed scan policy config?  I guess on the task side, similar to going to the local tasks (under "Common") on the client and clicking "Run Now".  You have to be an admin for that though, whereas (I think) anyone can do a "Scan System" to trigger the policy scan settings.  There does appear to be quite bit of overlap; wonder which came first.  You apply separate configs for Quick and Right-Click scans in the policy; maybe policy scans were to focus on the manual side.  I will try to get with the ENS team to help clarify. Thanks.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 14

Yea, they might be able to answer those questions better.  Let us know what they say so we also have some clarification.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community