cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amit007
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

Difference between in assigning the task or policies from ePO?

help me to understand in which scenaiors we can go ahead and create a task or policies. I''m a bit confused between them

Also help me if you guys have any KB article so that i can have a clear picture 

13 Replies
Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 14

Re: Difference between in assigning the task or policies from ePO?

Hi Amit007,

When dealing with ePO tasks and policy operations you will use either ‘object’ to perform certain functions.

For example:

A TASK would be created to run an ‘On Demand Scan’ (ODS) to check for malware on a device, normally a weekly schedule.(ENS/VSE)

A POLICY is created to configure that scan to ‘look’ specific files or folders when the ‘task’ is run.

Some examples to can use and review can be found in the best practice guide as well as main product(s) guide.

PD22940 – Best Practice for VSE 8.8

PD26799 – ENS product guide

Above is a couple of examples for you that can be found here:

http://kc.mcafee.com

A video demonstrating the creation of a scan task in..

ENS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hBG51Kl3qg

VSE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hBG51Kl3qg&t=1s

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Galaxis
Level 9
Message 3 of 14

But you can configure both On-Demand client task and policy op to include/exclude certain files/folders for a full scan, just that w/ a policy, you can add "Quick" and "Right-click" scan configs too right?  Are u saying that you can't create an On-Demand Scan policy without a task being there (they work together)?  And what if the task exists, but no policy; does it get distributed to endpoints?  Didn't seem like that worked when I had only a task and tried to "Wake up Agents".

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 14

The policy just makes it easier to have global settings for a scan task rather than creating separate tasks.  You still have to assign a scan task, but it would either be regular on demand scan task, or policy based.  Policy based just uses the settings in the policy then.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Galaxis
Level 9
Message 5 of 14

Ahhh ok, sounds like ur saying a client task can only be assigned to a specific machine (can only have 1 endpoint  or "system" assignment?); if you want that behavior somewhere else, u gotta create another task w/ the same action, targeting that 2nd endpoint.  A single policy on-demand scan config can be assigned to multiple systems. I guess there I'm thinking more of a policy config'd from the On-Demand Scan Policy Catalog, (vs. a client task set via the Client Task Catalog), but you're right, there is the *policy-based* client task as well; now I'm really confused!

Galaxis
Level 9
Message 6 of 14

Wait, it looks like there's a "Send this task to all computers" option - tho I not sure how "all computers" is defined.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 14

The computers it sends it to is based on where you actually assign it in the system tree, whether it be to all computers, a specific group, or single system.  It just means all computers within the applicable location you are assigning it to.

Was my reply helpful?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 14

First forget whether it is policy based or regular on demand scan type task.  A task is a task and can be assigned to a single system or group.  Same as policies - policies are just settings that are applied and tasks are actionable tasks to run on a schedule.

So, back to policy based vs non-policy based on demand scan.  

Policy based - configures all the on demand scan settings in a policy instead of a task.

Client task catalog on demand scan - configures all the on demand scan settings in a regular client task.

Both can have the same settings, it is just how you schedule the task.  When going to new task assignment, you have the option to schedule it via the policy based scan or client task created in client task catalog.

In my opinion, (keep in mind I don't support ENS), I don't see the point in having a policy based vs client task.  Maybe the ENS team can explain the real purpose of having one as policy based.  They both do the same thing ultimately.

Was my reply helpful?

Galaxis
Level 9
Message 9 of 14

I appreciate your assistance; we're trying to get a build out the door.  Ok now I see where u can assign a task to groups (all I saw before was the "send to all computers" option w/in the task itself). So ur saying w/in that specific group (of computers), I can further filter (by system name) which computers in that group get the task. Thx.

Ok still confused about the interplay btw the (Task Catalog) task & (Policy Catalog) policy.  Maybe it would help to ask how I would go about scheduling a policy On-Demand scan? I don't see scheduling options (day of the week, etc.) defining from the Policy Catalog, like there are in a custom on-demand scan task.  At my shop, I have a custom on-demand scan client task defined w/ a schedule of every week, and a policy on-demand scan (full/quick/right-click) from the Policy Catalog. Don't know how they interact if at all; seems like the task scan will run based on its schedule, but no idea when the policy scan will run.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 14

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community