Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Deployment/Update Task Failed

Jump to solution

I am currently using ePolicy Orchestrator 5.9.1, I have approximately 35 Redhat Linux machines on the system tree, with Mcafee and Threat Prevention installed. The Redhat versions are all 7.5 or 7.6.

Every night, there is a task that runs that is meant to update all the servers. This seems to work for about 28 of them. However there's a few of the systems that do not get the update. Today for instant, most of the systems were upgraded to DAT version 9277, some are at 9272 because that's the last time I did a manual update. I attempt to run an update through the ePo by running a Client Task, which is set for McAfee Agent > Product Update > Update Signatures and Engines - Linux. 

This is the result:

Sent Run Now task "Update Signatures and Engines - Linux" to "machine7"
Run now task Update Signatures and Engines - Linux received.
Run now task started.
Run now task Update Signatures and Engines - Linux successful
Details: Deployment/Update task failed..
Task Completed

The Status shows three green bars as well as 'Completed', despite obviously *not* completing.

The only way I'm able to get the updates is to manually download them, scp them to the Linux machine, and do the other steps seen here: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB88234

But obviously I can't do this for seven machines daily, that takes an hour out of my day and if we add more that develop this problem, it'll exacerbate things.

So my question is, if anybody has had this issue, what has been done to resolve this? Or, if there's any logs to show *why* the update failed, where would they be? The ePo is hosted on a Windows Server 2012 R2 system.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Re: Deployment/Update Task Failed

Jump to solution

Yep, that is an issue with the version of agent you are running where peer to peer enabled just hangs the task.  Either upgrade the agent to latest 5.6.1, or disable peer to peer everything in the agent policy.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

On the Linux system, go to /var/McAfee/agent/logs.  The masvc log will show it getting the task and invoking it, so you can get the time frame from that.  Then, look at the mcscript log.  That will tell if it is able to get files from the repository or not and why not if that fails.  It will also show any errors with the agent to point product communication failures.  You might see point product is not running, or an error similar to an error occurred getting the point product callback component interface.  What agent version are you running on those?  There were some agent versions that has some scheduling issues.  Also, depending on agent version, if peer to peer is enabled in the agent policy, it caused updates to fail.  In short, the mscript log is the most valuable for seeing initial cause of failures for updates.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

That was helpful, thank you. I was able to find the time frame in the logs. I don't see which would necessarily be the error right away. I do see two 'hash comparisons match failed' messages right after one another. I get 'Repositories retrieved successfully', and 'proxy configuration retrieved successfully'.

The last entries in the log are as follows:

Waiting LPC server availability
LPC server is now available
LPC frame work for update engine succeeded
Successfully registered LPC UpdateCallback interface
Checking P2P services via discovery...

And then there is nothing else after that. So it's like, it tried to check for P2P services and just ended there.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Yep, that is an issue with the version of agent you are running where peer to peer enabled just hangs the task.  Either upgrade the agent to latest 5.6.1, or disable peer to peer everything in the agent policy.

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

That definitely would do it then. It was previously at a 5.5 version. I updated the Software Repository, created a new agentPackages.zip, transferred that to the server in question, and updated it. It recognized that it currently had a previous version installed, so it installed the new one.

Then after waking up the server in the ePo to make sure it could still make contact, I started a client task to update, and it went through. I could tell it was going to work right away because previously it ended the task in seconds, and this needed a few minutes to finish.

I now probably have a bit more to do to make sure these are all on 5.6 to make sure it doesn't happen again, but now the mystery is solved. Thank you very much.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Glad to help!

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community