I have a client that will not update the McAfee VirusScan 8.8 DAT files. It will not update now the scheduled task I have set to run on this group of clients. It will not update when I choose the "Update Now" DAT files or if I do a "Run Task Now" on the client from ePO. It is still reporting to ePO but no updates occur. I do have many other clients running the same set of tasks that are working fine. I have attached the McAfee Agent logs below. I have tried replacing the serversitelist.xml and also tried re-deploying the McAfee Agent. Has anyone seen this before?
Client is running the following:
regsvr32 /s c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan enterprise\vsupdate.dll
usually fixes this
or, with psexec
psexec \\hostname regsvr32 /s c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan enterprise\vsupdate.dll
And then try an update from ePO
Thanks for the response. I tried running regsvr32 /s c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan enterprise\vsupdate.dll and then tried to update from ePO and it still does not work.
I also see this error in the Agent log:
#1984 UpdEvents Generating update event:EventId=2402:Severity=0:ProductId=EPOAGENT3000:Locale=0409:UpdateType=N/A:UpdateError=26:NewVersion=N/A:DateTime=N/A
Of course I meant:
regsvr32 /s "c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan enterprise\vsupdate.dll"
Probably less hassle to uninstall Virusscan and McAfee Agent and reinstall than to try to figure why it isn't working.