Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

Create repository for offline update

Hi! Im currently trying something that dont know if thats possible.

We have 1 epo server in our environment, and want to automatize the update process with the dat on our network.

The idea is to drop the v3.dat into a folder and with a automated task, being able for epo to pick up it and add to master repository so agents can update.

We want to make this to avoid the task to make it manually with "import package", which is a very easy task yet, so, if its not possible, is not a big problem, but will be easier if can be done in this way.

Is possible to make a kind of "repository" like that?

Thanks! 

14 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 15

Re: Create repository for offline update

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

I would like to request you to please refer the below steps and check whether this is resolving you issue or not:

Task

1. Select MenuSoftwareDistributed Repositories, then click ActionsNew Repository. The Distributed Repository Builder opens.
  2. On the Description page, type a unique name and select HTTP, UNC, or FTP, then click Next. The name of the repository does not need to be the name of the system hosting the repository.
  3. On the Server page, configure one of the following server types.
    HTTP server type or FTP server type
    • From the URL drop-down list, select DNS Name, IPv4, or IPv6 as the type of server address, then enter the address.

Option Definition
      DNS Name Specifies the DNS name of the server.
      IPv4 Specifies the IPv4 address of the server.
      IPv6 Specifies the IPv6 address of the server.
    • Enter the port number of the server: HTTP default is 80. FTP default is 21.
    • For HTTP server types, specify the Replication UNC path for your HTTP folder.
    UNC server type
    • Enter the network directory path where the repository resides. Use this format: \\<COMPUTER>\<FOLDER>.
  4. Click Next.
  5. On the Credentials page:
    1. Enter Download credentials. Use credentials with read-only permissions to the HTTP server, FTP server, or UNC share that hosts the repository.
      HTTP or FTP server type
      • Select Anonymous to use an unknown user account.
      • Select FTP or HTTP authentication (if the server requires authentication), then enter the user account information.
      UNC server type
      • Select Use credentials of logged-on account to use the credentials of the currently logged-on user.
      • Select Enter the download credentials, then enter domain and user account information.
    2. Click Test Credentials. After a few seconds, a confirmation message appears, stating that the site is accessible to systems using the authentication information. If credentials are incorrect, check the following:
      • User name and password
      • URL or path on the previous panel of the Builder
      • HTTP, FTP, or UNC site on the system
  6. Enter Replication credentials.
    The server uses these credentials when it replicates DAT files, engine files, or other product updates from the Master Repository to the distributed repository. These credentials must have both read and write permissions for the distributed repository:
    • For FTP, enter the user account information.
    • For HTTP or UNC, enter domain and user account information.
    • Click Test Credentials. After a few seconds, a confirmation message appears that the site is accessible to systems using the authentication information. If credentials are incorrect, check the following:
      • User name and password
      • URL or path on the previous panel of the Builder
      • HTTP, FTP, or UNC site on the system
  7. Click Next. The Package Types page appears.
  8. Select whether to replicate all packages or selected packages to this distributed repository, then click Next.
    • If you choose the Selected packages option, manually select the Signatures and engines and Products, patches, service packs, etc. you want to replicate.
    • Optionally select to Replicate legacy DATs.
    Note: Ensure all packages required by managed systems using this repository are not deselected. Managed systems go to one repository for all packages — if a needed package type is not present in the repository, the task fails. This feature ensures packages that only a few systems use are not replicated throughout your whole environment.
  9. Review the Summary page, then click Save to add the repository. The McAfee ePO software adds the new distributed repository to its database.

Also please check the below link:

Add the distributed repository to McAfee ePO 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thussain
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 15

Thank you for posting your query here

I understand that you are trying to create an automated process to download the V3.dat to a folder e.g Test folder, then ePO server connects to the test folder and copies the V3.dat file to the master Repository. Then starts the normal process of clients contacting the ePO server to update the V3 dat. This can be achieved by creating a new source site in server settings. 

I feel you do not want the ePO server to be connected to the internet. The other question would be how will other patches and software updates be delivered to the ePO master repository?

If the ePO server has internet connection, then I am pleased to inform you that we already have a Update Master Repository task which can be schedule to run daily at your convenient time.

I hope my understanding of the issue is correct. I apologize if my understanding of the issue is wrong and request you to kindly explain the issue in detail of what exactly are you trying to achieve here.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 15

Hi! 

Yes, this is exactly what i want. Is not need to automatically download the v3, but the process to import that v3 from "test folder" as you say, this is required.

I´ve tried to create a new source site UNC, but, when from "extract now" option in master repository i try to select this UNC source, it tells me that dont recognize any package.

No, this epo server hasn´t internet access, so i need to make an offline source site, but how can i do it? If  i just copy the v3.dat is not recognized, neither if i extract it. 

What is the process to do it?  Maybe i need to create the sitelist.xml manually?

Thanks!

LKS
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 15

Hi MrYellow,

I do not think it can be achieved by this way. 

1. ePO master & distributed repositories are signed because they can contain more than just DAT content, they can also contain product installs.

2. All sites (source, master or distributed) have control files such as catalog.z, sitestat.xml and replica.log and a very specific structure. This means a straight copy may not work because the control files are not updated correctly.

3. You can make another EPO A as source repository (internet accessible) to update content into  EPO B server(not accessible).

If you are manually checkin DAT file, do not select "Extract.DAT" under Master Repository. Just select "Product or Update" under Master Repository and navigate to the ZIP file where you stored and save.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 15

@LKS wrote:

Hi MrYellow,

I do not think it can be achieved by this way. 

1. ePO master & distributed repositories are signed because they can contain more than just DAT content, they can also contain product installs.

2. All sites (source, master or distributed) have control files such as catalog.z, sitestat.xml and replica.log and a very specific structure. This means a straight copy may not work because the control files are not updated correctly.

3. You can make another EPO A as source repository (internet accessible) to update content into  EPO B server(not accessible).

If you are manually checkin DAT file, do not select "Extract.DAT" under Master Repository. Just select "Product or Update" under Master Repository and navigate to the ZIP file where you stored and save.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

But if i dont want to have an online repository? Can i build a repository with just the v3.dat? The idea is that someone without any knowledge can drop the v3.dat into a folder (which is the offline repository ) and all the process is automatically.

Thussain
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 15

@Former Member 

I would suggest you to download the DAT Package For Use with McAfee ePO 

to the Test folder and see if this works for you. 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 15

This package is the one that i previously called "v3".

If i simply put this package into a UNC source is not recognized.

If i extract it into the UNC source, is not recognized neither.

So i think that, to make a working repository, i need to have a sitelist.xml and this kind of files to make it work.

So, how can i make a offline repository working without build a new ePo, just with this v3 package and creating some files?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 15

You can't just drop the dat files in a folder and expect epo to pick that up automatically - it expects a certain file/folder structure.  

The best way to accomplish this is to set up a mirror task from a system that does have internet access.  There is an option for that in both VSE and ENS.  You can then share that folder for epo access, then set that up as a source site in epo.  EPO can then pull from that new source site offline.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 15

@cdinet wrote:

You can't just drop the dat files in a folder and expect epo to pick that up automatically - it expects a certain file/folder structure.  

The best way to accomplish this is to set up a mirror task from a system that does have internet access.  There is an option for that in both VSE and ENS.  You can then share that folder for epo access, then set that up as a source site in epo.  EPO can then pull from that new source site offline.

But if i have no chance to set up a mirror from an internet machine (maybe acces the first time, to build the repo structure), there is a way to manually setup a repository and make it work?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community