Computer shows active but not encrypting

Agent is installed, Policies are applied but the disk is not encrypting
6 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Computer shows active but not encrypting

That is typically indicative of datachannel communication failures.  Please go through https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB87143 

We would need to know what the errors are that you are seeing.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

This link takes me to an error page and when i search for the KB to follow through, i see no data channel logs or tasks that are not running

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Encryption depends on several things.  First an event is generated on the client and sent to epo, who then processes it and in return sends the encryption policy to the client.  The process is done over datachannel.  The masvc log on the client will show any errors sending the event and/or communication issues over datachannel with epo or agent handler. It will also show which server the client is talking to, whether it be epo itself or any agent handler, if it exists.

The server log on that said server will show if there are any errors with apache not talking to application server or any other errors with datachannel communications.  They may also be dependent on which server you are looking at.  One agent handler or epo may be processing them fine, but a different agent handler has issues, so it is critical to check for any of those errors.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Hi,

Regarding the link, please try this instead: 
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87143

Hth

Was my reply helpful?

Looking through the masvc.log the last line i see is an error stating aac_service.Error: Enable/Disable aac request failed, error <-2147467262>

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

That may or may not be relevant - that is related to syscore validation for trusting processes interacting with our products.  If you have no VSE or ENS installed or any other product that installs syscore, that could be normal.  If you do, that is another issue and I would suggest removing all McAfee, reboot and ensure all remnants are removed, then reinstall to start with agent and encryption and see if issue goes away or not.  For this issue, I would look rather for keyword failed and see if you see any event upload failures, epo communication failures or datachannel or any other related to encryption.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community