Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arnieos
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

Changing of IP Address of ePO Server

Jump to solution

We are running ePO 5.10.0 Update 7 on Windows Server 2012. We have hundreds of servers connected to the ePO with McAfee Agent (5.6) and ENS (10.6) products. We will be changing the IP of the ePO server to a new one. The hostname remains the same. I would like to verify if there are things to consider before changing the IP? Will the Agents on hundreds of servers be able to communicate with the new IP of the ePO server without reinstalling the Agent? Do we need to change anything on the database side? Or a simple restart of ePO services after IP change will do?

Any input is greatly apprecaited.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 9

Re: Changing of IP Address of ePO Server

Jump to solution

Hi, 

You do not have to re-install the Agent, as the Clients will as next Agent-Contact method, try to communicate via Hostname/FQDN, so since the hostname will remain the same, they will reach out to EPO via the hostname. The EPO provides the Clients then the new sitelist with the new IP address, so this will be automatically updated on the clients then. 

You would have to update the core/config page, only if you have SQL Server installed on same as EPO, and you specified IP address in install, instead of hostname. 

Apart from that, I do not see any other change thats required. 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank You,

Siushan M.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi, 

You do not have to re-install the Agent, as the Clients will as next Agent-Contact method, try to communicate via Hostname/FQDN, so since the hostname will remain the same, they will reach out to EPO via the hostname. The EPO provides the Clients then the new sitelist with the new IP address, so this will be automatically updated on the clients then. 

You would have to update the core/config page, only if you have SQL Server installed on same as EPO, and you specified IP address in install, instead of hostname. 

Apart from that, I do not see any other change thats required. 

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thank You,

Siushan M.

View solution in original post

arnieos
Level 11
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi @Siu,

Thanks for your quick response. The SQL is hosted on another server so it means no need to update core/config page? 

On the SQL server itself, nothing to configure after IP change?

Thanks again.

Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Yes exactly, you do not have to perform any other change. The IP of the EPO will be updated in EPOServerinfo Table automatically from the server.ini file which is in <ePO_Dir>\DB folder after the IP change and restart. 

Was my reply helpful?

Thank You,

Siushan M.
arnieos
Level 11
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Got it!  One last thing, in the ENS console on one of the servers reporting to ePO, when you go to About, there is an ePO server address entry under Endpoint Security Platform section. It has the IP of the ePO server. Will this be also automatically updated after IP change?  

Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

I am not from the ENS team, but the IP address is most likely taken from the Agent/EPO. I have not heard of doing any changes on this Point Product after IP change, so yeah this will be updated automatically. 

Was my reply helpful?

Thank You,

Siushan M.
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

As long as dns resolves to the new IP, the clients should be fine with connection to get an updated sitelist from epo.  The clients will try IP, netbios and fqdn to connect, so if the name remains unchanged, then they should be able to connect with no problem.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

arnieos
Level 11
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

@cdinetand @Siu thanks for response, really appreciate it. I forgot to include that the server where the DB is hosted will also change its IP. Anything to consider?

Thanks.

Siu
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

You would have to just make sure the EPO/AH can connect to the SQL Server. For EPO check the core/config and see if you have there under Database Server Name the Hostname or IP. If you have the IP then you will have to change. 

After I saw your post I have noticed we do not have a KB for this, so I have created the Following KB article: KB94721 , here you will find all info. 

Was my reply helpful?

Thank You,

Siushan M.
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community