cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select branch for Endpoint Security update

Jump to solution

I thought this might be a common question but after searching I have not found the answer.  We have on-premises ePO 5.10.0 and Endpoint Security 10.7 recently deployed to replace VSE 8.8 on all systems.  When new client versions are available we update the evaluation branch, which is picked up automatically by certain tagged machines which have client tasks and policy assigned to get evaluation branch.  Once we have ascertained the new version is stable, we update the current branch to the same version and then it's picked up by the rest of the machines.

This has worked very well for years for Agent, VSE and other products but for ENS it's a problem - when updates are available in Software Catalog the only item listed is the bundle, and the only option is Update.  Clicking this option updates ALL branches (even previous!!), taking away all our control and making the carefully set up branch system useless.

Is there any way to update ENS in ePO to a particular specified branch (evaluation)?  Then once it's been tested, update to another branch or use the copy package feature in the master repo to push current to previous and evaluation to current.  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
twenden
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can't select branch for Endpoint Security update

Jump to solution

In our environment, I prefer to install the ENS components manually instead of using the software manager. Like what you are saying, I have found the software manager very confusing when installing the latest ENS packages and to be able to control what branch it installs too. You can download the extensions and ePO deployable packages by logging into using your grant number. First install the extensions and then the packages. When you install the packages you will get the option to what branch to install too like current., previous and evaluation branches. 

I always prefer to install to the Eval branch to test from. After testing then I will go to the repository and then move each package from Eval branch to the Current branch. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
twenden
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

In our environment, I prefer to install the ENS components manually instead of using the software manager. Like what you are saying, I have found the software manager very confusing when installing the latest ENS packages and to be able to control what branch it installs too. You can download the extensions and ePO deployable packages by logging into using your grant number. First install the extensions and then the packages. When you install the packages you will get the option to what branch to install too like current., previous and evaluation branches. 

I always prefer to install to the Eval branch to test from. After testing then I will go to the repository and then move each package from Eval branch to the Current branch. 

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Thanks twenden, I didn't think of doing it that way.  It sounds like a bit of a hassle but I'm happy with any workaround that will work, and that definitely looks like it will work!  I've stepped through the process just now and it seems fine.

It's a shame that the software catalog method doesn't support branches.  It would be nice if you could just select a branch or branches to update with the bundle, or update the components individually.  I will see if I can submit this as a product enhancement request, if it hasn't been already.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community