cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Automated agent update

Jump to solution

Hi all, dumb question here.  Is there a way to automate agent updates just product updates?  I go through the process of testing agents with deploying small amounts.  Eventually then I deploy everywhere.  At issue are things such as mobile devices that are not always available.  Once I've tested an agent and think it's okay, it would be nice if when an agent checks in next, it would self-update.   It seems like that should be possible, I just wasn't sure how to do it.  As is, I do it as a deployment overwriting the current installed agent.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 8

Re: Automated agent update

Jump to solution

Run missed task X minute delay — Runs the task after a user-configured number of minutes once the managed system is restarted.

Just incase if the machines already have a latest agent, it will just execute do nothing. Similarly to the unsupported machines, it will execute and checks if it is supported machine or not, if it is unsupported it does not do anything.

There is something called Detection script which checks product compatibility and other stuff before it executes to the machine.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi jwoodmls,

We have do not have compatible McAFee Agent for Mobile device. May i know which Agent are you referring.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Sorry for the confusion.  When I say mobile devices, I mean devices that are not always on, meaning laptops.  In our case, Windows laptops.  That means that It's hard to "catch" them when they are accessible to force deploy a new agent to them.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi jwoodmls,

Understood, however we do not have automate  agent update option in ePO. You have to manually update Agent to latest by creating a Client product deployment task and schedule it to run on Daily basis. So that when ever they machine connects to the network, it receives the task and update. 

You no need to use "Agent deploy" to upgrade Agent. Use client product deployment  instead.  

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I see, so you just make a new product deployment task for whichever agent you want to deploy (in this case 5.6.3.157)?  

You said the schedule type should be daily.  I'm assuming you would want to also have the option to "run missed task" so that laptops and such will get it?

So this task runs on every machine daily.  If they already have that product (agent), does it do anything, or just end the task?

What about on legacy products that may not support the agent?  It just runs the task and does nothing?  

Thanks for your assistance.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Run missed task X minute delay — Runs the task after a user-configured number of minutes once the managed system is restarted.

Just incase if the machines already have a latest agent, it will just execute do nothing. Similarly to the unsupported machines, it will execute and checks if it is supported machine or not, if it is unsupported it does not do anything.

There is something called Detection script which checks product compatibility and other stuff before it executes to the machine.

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello @jwoodmls ,

There are two steps of deployment.

1. Internet to EPO : This is Manual, you have to do it every time.

2. EPO to client systems : This can be automated in your "My Organization" so automatically the deployment will occur in specific time, if the system is offline at that time then the local scheduler will invoke the task automatically when the system is online based on your configuration of missed task.

Internet to EPO : Click on Menu > Software catalog > checkin all product and extension for the products you want.

EPO to client systems:  

1. Create deployment task :  click on menu> select McAfee agent > product deployment > New task >

select the product you want and click on OK.

2. Assign the deployment task : click on system tree > select My Organization or the group on which you want to assign this task to > click Assigned client tasks > Actions > New client task assignment >

McAfee agent > product deployment> select the task you created.

scroll down to schedule type > Make it to daily >specify the time in start time >

scroll down to bottom of the page > within options > select run missed task as 10 mins.

this will run the task in 10 mins as soon as the system is online after the task is missed.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks to both of you.  I think this is working now, it's just slow as the systems in question are only turned on once every few days, but I have seen the number of systems on the latest patch continue to increase.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community