Did you mean: 
pg13
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Antispyware 8.5 still showing in ePO for a 8.8 installation

Jump to solution

Hi,

Out of the hundreds of machines we updgraded in the past from VS 8.5 to VS 8.8, a bunch of them (about 20) still show the product "Antispyware 8.5" as installed in ePO in the Products tab. I would like to know why that is, and how to get rid of it.

One common element is that all these machines are running Windows XP. I don't know if that's pertinent to this problem because I also have XP machines that do not exhibit this behaviour. And the fact that I don't have Windows Vista or Windows 7 machines that exhibit this behaviour is totally expected, because we never installed VS 8.5 on anything other than XP.

When I look on one of those PCs, I see no trace of Antispyware 8.5:

• About... in VirusScan Console shows VirusScan Enterprise + Antispyware Enterprise 8.8;
  • Add/Remove Programs doesn't show any Antispyware;
  • I see no file in C:\Program Files\McAfee having version 8.5 in the "Version number" attribute.

I tried to start anew by removing one of those nodes from ePO and then run a cmdagent.exe /P to report the agent back to the server. I was hoping that the Antispyware element was just some remnants from the past. But the new node also shows Antispyware 8.5... So my guess is there some trace of Antispyware 8.5 left on the client, but I cannot find it...

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Message was edited by: pg13
Formatting on 10/30/13 10:00:53 AM GMT-05:00
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: Antispyware 8.5 still showing in ePO for a 8.8 installation

Jump to solution

Check under HKLM\Software\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins - do you have a key for Antispyware? (I'm not sure of the exact product code off the top of my head, but I think it is something like VSEMAS85000.)

If so, then this is what is causing the problem - the plugin key has not been correctly removed. If you delete this key and then restart the framework service, and then send the machine a wakeup call, the problem should be solved.

HTH -

Joe

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Check under HKLM\Software\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins - do you have a key for Antispyware? (I'm not sure of the exact product code off the top of my head, but I think it is something like VSEMAS85000.)

If so, then this is what is causing the problem - the plugin key has not been correctly removed. If you delete this key and then restart the framework service, and then send the machine a wakeup call, the problem should be solved.

HTH -

Joe

pg13
Level 9
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot Joe, that works perfectly!

I found two keys on my clients and I deleted both:

HKLM\Software\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\VSEMAS850000

HKLM\Software\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\VSEMAS850000

Then on the next wakeup call, no more trace of Antispyware 8.5 in the ePO node.

You always say "HTH", and I say "YAH" (You Always Help)!

Pat

JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

No problem, glad it's working now

Regards -

Joe

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community