cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Agent cannot communicate with server

Hi all, I have a bit of a tricky situation, hope someone can shed some light on it.

We have an 'almost' completely air-gapped machine in the environment that we still have to get AV working on.

I've managed to install the Agent directly on the server using an .msi installer package, but the Agent isn't communicating with the server.

Now I've spoken with the guys in charge of the firewalls, and they're telling me, because the ePo server has two NICs, the requests from this air-gapped machine is coming in on the wrong interface.

Does this sound feasible? Can I hardcode the IP address for the ePo server somewhere on the client? In my mind, I'd just open the relevant ports on both the NICs, but the Firewall admins are loathe to do that.

Any suggestions?

5 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Agent cannot communicate with server

Hello @thekevinkalis 

Thanks for your response.

How exactly the agent gets installed?

Downloading the file from product download site or you have create the file in ePO and then installed it.

If the agent gets downloaded from the product download site and executed in that case it will get installed but will not communicate to the ePO server.

Try creating the framepkg.exe with the help of the below steps and run the file on client machine.

1. Create an installation package:
    1. Click Menu | Systems | System Tree, click System Tree Actions, then select New Systems from the drop-down menu.
    2. Select Create and download agent installation package.
    3. Select the Agent version for Windows.
    4. Deselect Embed Credentials in Package.
      NOTE: If deselected, you receive the default package. If selected, you can specify required credentials.
    5. Click OK. The Download file dialog box opens.
    6. Select FramePkg.exe and save it to the temporary folder.

Also check the McAfee agent masvc.log for errors.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB56308

The best way to open the ports with the help of your network team firewall team .

you can try creating an entry in manually in host file but not sure whether it will work or not.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted

Hi,

I installed it from a framepkg.msi file that I made using the ePo server.

I'm going to have a dig into the logs to see if I can find anything there.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Hello @thekevinkalis 

Thanks for your response.

Please check the masvc.log and server.log to see the errors recorded.

If no luck then you can open a new service request with support team.

For ports please refer the belo KB

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66797

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 5 of 6

In this case , maybe you should use wireshark .

Your client IP ( source ip )  > destination ip ( ip address of the ePO server )

There are located the ports , which needed for the communication.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66797

Hope it help

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Use the following KB to bind epo to use the desired IP address for the firewall.

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB56308

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community