Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

Agent 5.0.0.2620 does not update policies and tasks

When I wake up the mcafee agent (v5.0.0.2620) from epo (v5.1.1) and force a complete task and policy update, the changes in the ploicies do not get pushed to the client immediately or at all.

I added a proccess to an access protection policy and the process did not appear after I woke up the agent. The same when I add a site to the SiteAdivsore authorize list.

Do you experience the same problems?

11 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 12

Re: Agent 5.0.0.2620 does not update policies and tasks

Hi spongetron, if you send a wakeup call to the client does it report back to epo with the last connection time?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 12

Yes, the last connection time is reported back to ePO.

Edit: Today it seems to work again, weird! I guess the problem was somewhere else!

harris_s
Level 9
Message 4 of 12

Just noticed this myself after trying to force a policy on a client. I'm finding this version of the agent to be very buggy and would advice against installing as it's caused me many hours of troubleshooting. The main issue I have with this agent is it installs the McAfee Agent Backwards Compatibility Service (macompatsvc.exe). This process if left has a tendancy to increase memory usage to over 1GB! This is making our exchange and sql servers struggle. Which is unacceptable for a process for which I'm not sure what it is actually doing.

I'm not the only one experiencing these issues either. Looks like I may have to raise a ticket for it.

harris_s
Level 9
Message 5 of 12

My deployment tasks aren't working anymore for installing virusscan, if I add a new system the agent gets installed, but all other tasks don't work, so having to do manually, nothing has changed with this task, been happily working for years until agent upgrade. My ePO system as it stands is pretty useless, I'm having to do all its tasks.

harris_s
Level 9
Message 6 of 12

Just to add my policies aren't applying either! Might be time to go back to version 4 of agent.

Hem
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 12

Is it working when you start 'VSE task manager' service?

harris_s
Level 9
Message 8 of 12

I only seem to have a McAfee Task Manager Service which is already started. Noticed though that some tasks and policies I changed have now taken effect, but it would appear that it took a day or two before they were applied!

mh22mh
Level 8
Message 9 of 12

Hi,

if you look at the AccessProtectionLog.txt, you may find something like this:

12/2/2014    10:11:39 PM    Blocked by Access Protection rule     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM    C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe    \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks\{A14CD6FC-3BA8-4703-87BF-E3247CE382F5}    Common Standard Protection:Prevent modification of McAfee files and settings    Action blocked : Write

Simply exclude the following "VsTskMgr.exe" file from the mentioned Access Protection rule. Let me know if you need step by step for exclusion.

Best of luck.

harris_s
Level 9
Message 10 of 12

So McAfee's software is conflicting with itself! No suprise there.

Yes I've seen this, will try exclude. This agent really must not have had much testing with all the other problems I'm having with it.

Cheers.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community