Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 23

Agent 4.8.0.1938 deployed to too many systems

Jump to solution

Hi,

Scenario:

I'm using ePO 4.6.8.

Most of my systems have agent 4.6.0.3122

I want to deploy agent 4.8.0.1938, but only to a few systems at first.

Problem:

I see the agent is being installed on way more systems than I want.

Details:

I checked-in the Agent 4.8.0.1938 package in the "Current branch", in order to deploy it to my systems. I wanted to do a phased roll-out, so I created a "Product Deployment" task, but assigned the task to run only for systems that have the tag "Install agent 4.8".

However, I see that the agent is being deployed to systems that do not have the tag "Install agent". Why is this happening?

• I do not have "Global Updating" enabled, so that can't be the culprit.
  • I do however have a "Product Update" task in which I selected "VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0" in the "Patches and service packs section" (because I'm also in the process of pushing Patch 4 to my VS 8.8 clients, since it's a requirement for agent 4.8.0.1938). But an agent upgrade can't, by design, be run through a Product Update task, can it? This also shouldn't be the culprit?

Any idea why the agent is being upgraded on systems that do not have the tag specified in the "Product Deployment" task?

Thank you.

Patrick

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 23

Re: Agent 4.8.0.1938 deployed to too many systems

Jump to solution

Probably because you have another agent deployment task from the previous 4.6 that was in the current branch. I'm thinking maybe when you checked the new .1938 package into current it also changed your existing agent deployment task to push this new agent out.

By the way, are you DoD? If so friend me on here and send me a PM with your email and I can help you further.

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 23

Jump to solution

Probably because you have another agent deployment task from the previous 4.6 that was in the current branch. I'm thinking maybe when you checked the new .1938 package into current it also changed your existing agent deployment task to push this new agent out.

By the way, are you DoD? If so friend me on here and send me a PM with your email and I can help you further.

pg13
Level 9
Message 3 of 23

Jump to solution

I think you win!

I did delete my old deployement task before checking in the .1938 agent and creating a new task.

BUT I guess what happened is that the systems that ALREADY had locally the old deployment task (which is in fact "all my systems") probably just ran their old task before being instructed to delete it (ASCI probably had not yet happen for them) and they just installed the agent that was CURRENTLY in the Current branch, which was the new .1938 agent. The old task did indeed have "Makes sense?

When I noticed that the deployement was going outside the boundaries I wanted, I moved the agent package into the Evaluation branch. I guess this will stop the bleeding.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, you're asking me if I'm DoD, sorry I don't understand what you mean.

Patrick

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 23

Jump to solution

Cool. Well at least that solved it. I always check stuff into the eval or previous branch when testing, just so it doesn't throw off my current deployments.

Nevermind on the DoD thing.. most people running the older 4.6.8 are government organizations

pg13
Level 9
Message 5 of 23

Jump to solution

One hour later, the wild deployment has ceased. So moving the package back into the Evaluation branch did stop the bleeding.

Thanks again, and no I'm not with DoD or other government organization, I just haven't got time yet to jump to epo 5 🙂

Patrick

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 23

Jump to solution

Please how did u upgrade ur agen to 1938 ?? i need to do it ASAP

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 23

Jump to solution

Just check the package into the master repository into whatever branch you'd like, create a client task to deploy the newly checked in package, and then assign that task at whatever node in the system tree you want it deployed at.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 23

Jump to solution

I thank you for your answer but in the master repository i find that the last version of McAfee Agent is 4.8.0.887. I find also epo Agent Key Updater version 1938 (version i need) but i don't know what to do with this plug-in. should I download it  ?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 23

Jump to solution

I think you might be confused between the agent and the agent key updater:

MA 4.8 Patch 1 = 4.8.0.887

MA 4.8 Patch 2 = 4.8.0.1500

MA 4.8 Patch 3 = 4.8.0.1938

If you want to deploy out MA 4.8.0.1938, you'll need to download the patch 3 package via the software manager or through the mcafee portal and check it into the master repository, then deploy it out.

The agent key updater is not an essential thing you need. Its available to download and put in the master repository so you can create and run a task to update agents to a new master key for communication if you upgrade ePO's or need to change the key for some reason.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 23

Jump to solution

I see the difference now thanks to you . The problem now is that i can't find MA 4.8 patch 3 (4.8.0.1938) in software manager ? I wonder if u could tell me where can i download it (link if it's possible)

thank you so much

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community