cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 121 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

Thanks for the update, toebin. If other people get a SiteAdvisor update to 193 can they report back to say if it's cured the pop-ups?

toebin
Level 7
Message 122 of 133

Geesh, I just had a lightbulb moment. So I rebooted and sure enough, the auto update to McAfee that I had a little while ago was the desktop icon fix. After the reboot the icon is FINALLY gone, yay!!

But my SA fix seems to have been with the install of a newer version of SA that Dinz did earlier to the 193 build.

I'm all good now on my PC version of McAfee!!!

With the telephone assistance of McAfee's Tech Support, I did what was suggested in cazieel's post 98 over an hour ago.  So far, no popups. 

beans1
Level 7
Message 124 of 133

I am glad it worked for you. It didn't work for me. Hello...McAfee!

johnm
Level 7
Message 125 of 133

I am also having this problem and followed several suggestions from previous posters.  Most did not work.  However, the following suggestion did stop the popups and it was easy (seems too easy).

Go to Control Panel / Admin / Services and stop the Site Advisor service and make it manual.  Save the change.

Then go back to the Site Advisor service and make it automatic and start the service.

That is it.  The pop up stop (at least for me).  I rebooted and the pop up is still stopped.

johnm

Not sure where you got this suggestion but I tried it earlier today. (Navigate from Control Panel appropriately and set the Site Advisor service to manual and clicked OK. I then exited Control Panel to be on the safe side and then went in again to change the setting back to Automatic. I then exited the Control Panel, turned off my computer and restarted it again - all very simple and not taking very long).

Since then I have been using my computer a lot today with Firefox, Thunderbird, Word and a Freeware file manager and I also tried Internet Explorer.

No sign of the DOS box pop-up all day now since then so this seems to have fixed the problem for me - at least for the time being. Maybe this is THE answer. Perhaps it corrects a Registry entry which had become corrupt following a McAfee update.

Site Advisor is still version 3.4.1.189

I hope that this fix will remain after any future McAfee update but if it does not then I can always try this again and hope this does the trick.

Derek Shaw

Hi Everyone, my name is Mark and I'm the Product Manager for SiteAdvisor.  I just wanted to add some context and clarity to the situation here that is affecting a large number of our users. 

A few weeks ago, we started rolling out our latest maintenance release, SiteAdvisor 3.4.1.  In the time that has passed, we've been notified of this command prompt pop-up issue and we've been actively investigating it over the last couple weeks.  We believe this issue is isolated to a particular version of our system security suite and Windows XP.  This is a problem we've had specific problems recreating in our test environments.

Nevertheless, as of earlier this week, we have halted additional deployments of SiteAdvisor 3.4.1, and have worked to resolve the problem.  We've reached out to several affected users on this thread to help us test the fix and our solution appears to be working.  As you can see from the previous post, we're asking for your help in further verifying our solution.

If everything continues to look positive with this fix, we are aiming to begin rolling out the fix by early next week, starting Monday.  We're also targeting incorporation of this fix into our downloadable version on SA.com.

Obviously we have a quality gap here we need to address, and we will be taking on root cause analysis and correction moving forward to prevent these sort of problems from happening again.

As always, we appreciate you trusting SiteAdvisor for your web protection.  From the team, I apologize for the disruptions this may have caused in your usage.  We need to get better, and we will.

Best,

Mark Visscher

SiteAdvisor Product Manager

toebin
Level 7
Message 128 of 133

Mark thanks for the update and the backstory on the Site Advisor issue. I'm glad it appears a "fix" is available.

I would also like to thank Dinz and Hayton for keeping us in the loop with info and not letting us feel like the issue isn't being worked on. The communication was great IMHO and I appreciate being asked to participate in the solution.

Any software can have a glitch but keeping the customer involved in the process really makes a bad situation better.

Like I said earlier, I'm all good to go on the PC side with McAfee... the desktop icon is gone and I don't have any dos prompts popping up anymore. Now to just get a final solution from tier 3 tech support on my android phone and the Mobile version of McAfee, then life will be GREAT!

johnm
Level 7
Message 129 of 133

Likewise, I thought I had found a fix by changing the status of the Site Advisor service.  While it stayed away all day yesterday after the fix, the DOS popup is back.

I will run the script for a more permanent fix, I hope.

johnm
Level 7
Message 130 of 133

It has been 2 days since running the script and no popups. 

Thanks McAfee.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community