Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 101 of 133

Re: this program keeps popping up! i need help!!

Things are looking good for most I hope, all the best.

Dear all

So what should we do? Run the fix as advised a few posts ago, or wait for McAfee to issue a fix via an automatic update?

Obviously, I don't want to create further problems by running the fix (with it hopefully working) and then have something come down via an auto update which compounds the problem.

Reliable Contributor
Message 103 of 133

I would wait for it to update if it hasn't already.

don_c
Level 7
Message 104 of 133

Good morning:

I was also wondering whether or not I should proceed with the patch or wait for an automatic update. My McAfee Site Advisor build is 3.4.1.189 and the last update was 01/14/2012 and so I am wondering if anyone knows exactly when we might expect that update?

Thank you.

Reliable Contributor
Message 105 of 133

You could probably hasten the update by uninstalling SiteAdvisor and reinstalling from http://www.siteadvisor.com

To uninstall it go to Control Panel & look for it in the programme list.  If not listed select the McAfee SecurityCenter item and then it should give you the option to remove only SA.  reboot and reinstall.

If that doesn't work then it's your choice - I have no idea when the updates occur as they are supposed to be silent and automatic.

Hopefully a SiteAdvisor expert will spot this and clarify the situation for you.

For me, this is possibly another variable which could compound the problem when the update finally arrives to fix this.

I am serious considering ditching McAfee for another program if this isn't sorted out quickly.

don_c
Level 7
Message 107 of 133

Thanks for the input, folks.

I think that I will wait a day or so in the hopes that an automatic update comes through ...

I am really a novice at all of this.

Thanks, again!

JohnG
Level 7
Message 108 of 133

Ex_Brit wrote:

You could probably hasten the update by uninstalling SiteAdvisor and reinstalling from http://www.siteadvisor.com

To uninstall it go to Control Panel & look for it in the programme list.  If not listed select the McAfee SecurityCenter item and then it should give you the option to remove only SA.  reboot and reinstall.

If that doesn't work then it's your choice - I have no idea when the updates occur as they are supposed to be silent and automatic.

Hopefully a SiteAdvisor expert will spot this and clarify the situation for you.

Peter,

First, this works if you only have a few computers to deal with. But I've got over 60, and someone else here referred to 300 computers.

I've updated three, but am finding others have the problem and have simply not told me about it. So we need the automatic update to work as soon as possible.

More importantly, I don't believe the download site has been updated yet, as that download is different from the one to which Dinesh posted the link in post #108.

It has always been a problem that the version is not identified on the download page or in the setup program name.

If it's not acceptable to do that for some reason, then at least the version number should be embedded in the properties of the setup executable itself, so that after downloading it one could identify the version before installing it.

As it is now, one has to install the program to find out what version it is. In this current case this may regress to an older version.

Can you (or Mark Visscher if he's reading this) ask to get this version number visible somewhere?

Thanks,
- JohnG

Reliable Contributor
Message 109 of 133

Sorry, wont the solution you posted just prior to this work easier?

I would imagine Mark Vissche is monitoring all these threads anyway, let's hope he chimes in.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/01/12 3:56:17 EST PM
JohnG
Level 7
Message 110 of 133

Ex_Brit wrote:

Sorry, wont the solution you posted just prior to this work easier?

I would imagine Mark Vissche is monitoring all these threads anyway, let's hope he chimes in.

Well, yes, that solution will work, but how do we know that McAfee hasn't posted an even newer version on the download site?

First you have to download it to see it's a different size, then you have to actually install it to find out whether it's newer or older.

As I'm trying to say, this has always been a bit of a problem. One cannot, at a glance, tell whether the version on the site is the same or newer than the one installed (and in this rare case, may be older.)

- JohnG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/01/12 3:55:43 EST PM

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community