cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Web Advisor blocked redirection, need help

I visit 9gag.com pretty often and never got any noticeable issues. Just a site to view "memes" and general stuff really, don't know how to describe. The thing is, in last few days I have been noticing that, in the top right corner of my browser window, it started to appear something like "redirection from this website was/are blocked" something like that. The first time I noticed it I instantly closed the tab and opened another page on 9gag.com and it didn't show again. I thought it had been random so I kept browsing as usual. Another day it happened again.

Like an hour ago, I was on 9gag again and I clicked on a post, nothing uncommon, and a tab on my browser appeared. I attached a screenshot if you can see. If not I'll explain: that is in Portuguese but it roughly says that "here is the reason why (that link) might be dangerous. We analised this site and found out it's not as safe as it should be. Click with care." And below says: Category of the site: Spam URLs. The warning on the left says "Slightly dangerous". I don't even have any idea what that link might be. Keep in mind that no other tabs were automatically open besides that WebAdvisor one. 
I DID NOT click on any kind of ad, I just opened the post and that thing appeared. I'm really anxious right now not knowing if my PC was harmed in any way. That never happened before in the years that I have been browsing 9gag or on the 2 years +/- that I have been using McAfee. Was I affected by anything? Did the Web Advisor really blocked the intrusion and it's safe? Or can something have gotten through even though McAfee tried to block? 
I'm running a Full Scan right now and I'll post if anything has been detected. I'm really paranoid and really want to know if my PC has been compromised. Can anyone assure me that whatever it was got blocked and it is definitely fine? 

And if you need to know:
- I don't ever access unknown websites, I have been on 9gag for years that why I thought it was trustworthy
- My PC "was" fine, I did one full scan with McAfee a few days ago and nothing was reported. I think I even did another one a few weeks ago and the result was the same
- I even got the annoying habit of checking the task manager pretty often to see if there are any kind of processes that are unknown or suspicious and I didn't see one thing out of the ordinary

Techically everything is normal for now, I'm just gonna finish the scan, reboot the PC and if anything happens I'll post here. But I really needed some reasasurance as I said. I'm terribly paranoid and anxious and I always think that even though it is fine now, some problem will show up tomorrow or something. Any help please?

2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Web Advisor blocked redirection, need help

The McAfee webadvisor has blocked the suspicious content  and shown alert on the screen about the potential risk before accessing it., everything seems to be normal.

Highlighted

Re: Web Advisor blocked redirection, need help

Thanks for the answer, but does that mean there is no reason to be worried?

**UPDATE**
Finished the scan, shutdown the computer, started it up and did another scan, everything seems normal, but I'll keep an eye and post here if anything comes up.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community