cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unethical safe search option

Moved to SiteAdvisor.

To me the install is corrupted also it is part of Mcafee total protection or similiar it is included in that package so will not be shown in teh add remove programs area. If you say uninstall Mcafee total ptotection you are given the option to uninstall only Site advisor

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 13 of 21

Thanks Guys

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
sfry77
Level 7
Message 14 of 21

What next? McDonalds selling Whoopers?! Who is the idiot that installed Yahoo as the search engine in GOOGLE Chrome?!
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 21

There are a couple of SiteAdvisor FAQs which talk about this topic but not in this context. One of them advises to make any changes to the deault search engine in the browser.

So, in Chrome click on the wrench to get to the settings window. Then just bring up the list of search engines available in the browser and remove Yahoo.

Google Search engines.PNG

krishs
Level 8
Message 16 of 21

I have re installed google chrome and correcte the problem.Waste of time for me. Anyway came out of irritating yahoo search  .happy about that.

Anyway not having option to disable any feature is "bug"

Safe Search is not switched on by default.

All that would have been needed was to uninstall SiteAdvisor as explained previously and reinstall it, this time not turning on Safe Search.

I agree there should be a button to turn it off again.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/05/14 7:01:37 EDT AM
kirby2001
Level 7
Message 18 of 21

With no willingness to address ethical or unethical, I was looking for a way in chrome to change the default safe search option to use Google instead of Yahoo as the search engine.  For those looking for the same, I found this option in a different thread (thanks Jonesnet)  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/74654

To correct this issue and keep SiteAdvisor on Chrome while using AT&T McAfee, go to settings in Chrome. Under search, select McAfee and then click on Manage search engines... In the right hand column you will see  https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=B211US679D20120102&p=%s. This sets your default search engine to yahoo while using SiteAdvisor. In place of https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=B211US679D20120102&p=%s copy and paste:

{google:baseURL}search?q=%s&{google:RLZ}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{goog le:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:bookmarkBarPinne d}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter} {google:omniboxStartMarginParameter}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie=mcafee&ty pe=B211US679D20120102&p=%s

This will set google as your default search engine in the omnibar and SiteAdvisor will be active even after you close chrome and reopen it.

Thw applicaqtion has changed somewhat since this thread was started.

Open IE and do it in there, look for the small cogwheel in the upper right corner of the browser or a Site/WebAdvisor icon and click just to the right.

It controls what happens in all browsers.

judemon
Level 7
Message 20 of 21

Re: Unethical (?) safe search option

I had a similar problem, but for me it was forcing SafestSearch.com as the Default browser and removed the ability to change it, from Control Panel or Advanced Options.

In the end after much Googling (not easy when you have this problem!) I found this link Remove Safestsearches.com redirect (Virus Removal Guide)  and followed step 1 only.

So happy to have my browser and default search back to normal and configurable!!

I don't know where SafestSearch.com came from, I do know that McAfee prompted me to activate Safe Search next time i launched a browser and would be interested to know if this is related! I couldn't find out via McAfee help.

I believe Malwaretips are OK, hope I don't find out otherwise!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community