cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to open PDF documents

Every time I try to open a PDF document, either from a website or from email, a message comes up saying "'file name' contains a virus and has been deleted"

It has only started doing this recently and I cant open PDF documents which I cold open a few weeks ago!

They are coming from a trusted source so i know they do not contain viruses.

Can you help please?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Unable to open PDF documents

Hello @KellyB7 

We are sorry that McAfee WebAdvisor is blocking PDFs when you download. We request you to try uninstalling WebAdvisor from the browser and also from control panel and reinstalling it. Please follow the below Article on how to reinstall WebAdvisor

How to download and install McAfee WebAdvisor

Also, could you please let us know the WebAdvisor Version, Browser and its version and McAfee Anti Virus installed on your computer.

Also please provide screenshots of McAfee blocking the download.

Regards,
Madhan M

Highlighted

Hello,

We have McAfee Livesafe Version 16.

Our computer uses Windows 10.

I have tried using Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome and none of them will let me open a PDF.

I have attached an image showing the message I am getting.

I am a bit concerned with uninstalling McAfee as we pay for our subscription.  When I re-install it again will it keep our subscription information - we wont have to pay again?

Regards

Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

Hello @KellyB7 

You don't have to pay once again if you want to reinstall. As far as you have a valid McAfee Subscription, the product can be reinstalled.

So, please follow the steps provided in the above article and let me know the outcome.

Regards,
Madhan M

Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

Hello @KellyB7 

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or still occurs.

Regards,
Madhan M

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community