i feel like i am getting the run around from Mcaffee tech support ..
My Siteadvisor stopped working in chrome a few weeks back and they(suuport) tell me it's because of a problem with the plugin for Chrome
i find no other users here or via Google complaining about this same issue .. and i can't believe i am the only one
Site advisor works for me in my IE and i t works in my FF browser but not in my Chrome browser ..
Is anyone else having this issue too ? ?
i am running windows 7 home and using Mcaffe Internet Security . .my chrome is the latest up to date version.
Thanks if you can help please.
Solved! Go to Solution.
That is the reason why i was trying to drag the .crx file to that page.
As I said, that won't work. It's one of the things I tried.
Chrome can be complicated sometimes, and I'm not entirely certain that I recall exactly the sequence of actions that were necessary to get SA working again.
First, the question of synching. If you've synched Chrome then you will find that the synched Chrome list of extensions (without SiteAdvisor) gets re-applied. Let me know if that happens, I'm sure I found something buried in the Chrome FAQs or Latest Issue list about that.
The first step is to uninstall SiteAdvisor completely, but before you do click the wrench symbol in Chrome and select Tools-->Clear Browsing Data. Make sure all the boxes are checked and applied From the Beginning of Time. This will remove all cookies and plug-in data.
Go to 'Programs & Features' and find the entry for McAfee (not MVT). There is no separate entry for SiteAdvisor. Click to uninstall and it will ask if you want to remove everything or just SiteAdvisor. Agree to remove SiteAdvisor.
Then you have to re-install SiteAdvisor from the McAfee site - go to
and scroll right down to the bottom of the page to get the free version.
You may need to reboot so that SiteAdvisor can check to make sure it's got the latest version, and download it if you haven't.
Then restart Chrome and check in Task Manager to see if McChHost is running. If it is, you're part way there. If not, it means I have to dig around in the Chrome forums and various Help sections to see what it was I found before that helped me get SA back. I have a nasty feeling that my installation of Chrome was corrupted and had to be deleted & re-installed. I hope that's not the case here.Message was edited by: Hayton on 22/06/14 23:48:57 IST
I moved this from Service & Support to the SiteAdvisor section as a more appropriate place for the thread.
There have in fact been many reports of problems with SiteAdvisor not working properly, or working intermittently, in Chrome, going back at least a couple of months. This is because of a change to the way SiteAdvisor has to operate in the browser, forced by Google's decision not to allow third-party extensions. I see these problems myself, and have not yet found a reliable way to persuade SiteAdvisor to run perfectly in Chrome. It works, after a fashion, but there's usually a period after Chrome starts when SA is inactive. Even after SA starts it may have difficulty communicating with the SA servers, so that the icon remains grey for all sites for a further period. Then somethnig clicks and it begins to work properly.
So, we need to know what are the observed symptoms in this case.
i looked in the MCChost file ? ? is that correct for the version info .. it says 188.8.131.52
Is that the correct place to determine the veriosn number ?
SiteAdvisor in IE and FF is running under McSvHost; in Chrome SA runs as a separate process, McChHost. You will see it as a dependency of cmd.exe, and it is supposed to start up when Chrome does. Well, it does, but even if it's running the SA icon may not appear in the address bar for quite some time.
If you're running EMET, by the way, it's best to exclude Chrome since there are known conflicts.
It works in mine OK in Chrome 35, mind you I had to disabled/enable to get it to show in the address bar a few minutes ago.
Did you ask Technical Support to escalate the case?
i have twice been with them online .. both times they told me it was an issue with the plugn and Chrome 35.
So in a way you are confirming my thoughts after Google search and finding no other users complaining of same problem.
i am not clear exactly how to escalet a case .. how di dyou enable/disable ..
i do not see the Mcafee extension/plugin for siteadvsior listed in my Chrome's extensions ..
i attempted to drag the .crx file from the siteadvisor directory onto the extensions page of chrome .. Chrome said "attempting to downgrade extension"
Still the same though - does not workMessage was edited by: relativity on 6/22/14 12:53:39 PM CDT
Looks like Ex_Brit and Hayton have responded to you and I might add that both are very helpful to customers trying to help solve issues.
As I cannot speak for anyone other than myself I was just trying to see if this issue might have had something to do with the fact my software has been provided to me via Dell which was last updated by them on May 30th.
I too have heard that Chrome and Site Advisor have issues amongst each other