cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 121 of 134

Re: Site Advisor browser button is always gray?

Jump to solution

@jess1ca, do you mean you went into IE settings and selected SSL2 as well as SSL3 ? That's how I have it set in IE, with TLS 1.0 being not checked.

I don't see why that would affect the security settings in Chrome, but I'm prepared to accept that it might. I know McAfee uses IE settings for displaying all its windows, so perhaps SiteAdvisor takes its settings from IE as well.

I'm still not happy about SiteAdvisor using a deprecated protocol like SSL, especially as the encryption algorithm (MD5) is also weak. I suppose there has to be a trade-off between security and usability.

jess1ca
Level 7
Message 122 of 134

Jump to solution

That's it. First, I unchecked the other 3 as well. But I realised that even if I didn't uncheck them, SiteAdvisor seems to be working fine. When I turn on my computer again tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it went.

(To be honest, I have no idea what all those mean, the SSL and TLS and what nots. I just follow what you guys suggest and see if it works.)

Highlighted
okv
Level 11
Message 123 of 134

Jump to solution

Hello,

SA team is investigating and will get in touch with users to get additional info.

rick210
Level 7
Message 124 of 134

Jump to solution

Hello, I also have Windows XP with SP3 and had the same problem you had plus when I would update Mcafee it would just get stuck updating and locking out the internet.  After researching someone posted about intrusion detection under firewall was the problem for mcafee update hang time. I unchecked it and it fixed my siteadvisor and the mcafee update. It's worth a try.

Jump to solution

Thanks, Rick210.  I have tried that, and it worked, but only until the next re-boot.  I hope you have better success than I did!  Keep us posted.

Message was edited by: 'LizBeth on 3/16/13 10:23:01 PM EDT
s_kate
Level 7
Message 126 of 134

Jump to solution

Hi there,

So...I'm having a similar problem.  I just updated my McAfee antivirus program and although google searches show colour codes for various websites, the site advisor bar on the bottom left of the window is always grey....it's grey right now and I'm even on the McAfee site!    I have tried working with the "options" but I can't seem to figure it out.  Any assistance would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!

Jump to solution

Welcome to the club, Catherine.

We all are having the same problem and are waiting for the solution.

The only thing that works for me is that I leave the internet connection on when I shut down the computer (normaly you would turn it off).

When I start up my pc  the connection tot the internet is being made (automaticaly) during booting. Don't ask me why, but  this works for me (I use IE9 with Windows 7).

It looks like in someway, during booting, SA is making the connection tot the internet and works. If I start up with the connection turnd off, SA is gray and stays that way, also after I make connection to the internet.

Regards, Matthew

Message was edited by: mattlucky on 5/31/13 6:28:55 AM CDT

Jump to solution

Yep, I'm still having the same problem too, even after the last two SA updates, current one being 5/31 (SA 3.6.1.193).  I'm running Win XP SP3, IE 8, with all updates current.  Hopefully McAfee will find a solution for us soon!    Patience is a virtue, so they say . . .

'LizBeth

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 129 of 134

Jump to solution

Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and available via Useful Links at the top of this page.

If you already have a case going then ask them to escalate it.

However in post 121 above there is a fix in the works. 

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/06/13 10:20:37 EDT AM

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am happy to say that Site Advisor is finally working again!    It must have been the latest update (mentioned in post 127 above) and a clean re-boot that did it!  Thank you, McAfee!!!

'LizBeth

Message was edited by: 'LizBeth on 6/2/13 12:05:01 AM EDT

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community