cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Search engine switching to Yahoo

It seems each time either after a scan or an update, my default search engine is switching from Google to Yahoo. I've gone into Settings on Chrome browser and have to switch it back to Google. I also delete Yahoo/McAfee search, but it appears again later. This has only started to happen recently. I also wonder if it has something to do with Site Advisor since a new popup appears asking me to confirm using it, even though the browser already seems to be using it. I use the free McAfee that comes with AT&T U-Verse DSL.

61 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Search engine switching to Yahoo

I moved this to SiteAdvisor as I think that's what is doing this - check the settings by clicking just to the right of the icons at top left of this page and see if you have activated Secure Search.  If so then that is what is doing this.  If not then it's either your browser settings or a hijacker.  Check the last link in my signature below for some hints.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Highlighted

thanks -- I'll see if unchecking SiteAdvisor works.

I would have posted it in SiteAdvisor but since that's the possible answer to the problem, most people experiencing the same issue wouldn't know to look in the SiteAdvisor forum first for the solution. Perhaps there is some way to also post this solution in the general forum where people first look for what is going on with their default Search changing.

Highlighted

Well I suppose I could move the thread back to, say, General Discussion.  Unfortunately this new board is not very user friendly so when you land on it you only get a summary of the latest stuff posted.

After a week at the most this thread would disappear from the main page anyway.

Highlighted

BTW don't turn off SiteAdvisor if that's what you meant, simply turn off Secure Search, then change your search engine preferences in your browser.

Highlighted

thanks for clarifying that... I like SiteAdvisor on. It's ashame they don't tell you that "Secure Search" means switching to Yahoo.

Highlighted

I agree.  Maybe it needs improvement, you could always use the Product Ideas section: 

Highlighted

Peenard,

To correct this issue and keep SiteAdvisor on Chrome while using AT&T McAfee, go to settings in Chrome. Under search, select McAfee and then click on Manage search engines... In the right hand column you will see  https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=B211US679D20120102&p=%s. This sets your default search engine to yahoo while using SiteAdvisor. In place of https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=B211US679D20120102&p=%s copy and paste:

{google:baseURL}search?q=%s&{google:RLZ}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}{google:assistedQueryStats}{google:searchFieldtrialParameter}{google:bookmarkBarPinned}{google:searchClient}{google:sourceId}{google:instantExtendedEnabledParameter}{google:omniboxStartMarginParameter}{google:contextualSearchVersion}ie=mcafee&type=B211US679D20120102&p=%s

This will set google as your default search engine in the omnibar and SiteAdvisor will be active even after you close chrome and reopen it.

Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 9 of 62

The method posted by jonesnet to peetnard on 1 November 2014 works for me on Chrome..   Thank you.  

McAfee should make it easier to select the search engine that SiteAdvisor will use (like the user selected DEFAULT search tool!?)

Highlighted

They are in fact working on improvements to both the clarity of the interface and the Secure Search issues, but it takes time, especially with the latter as contractual and licensing issue come into play.

Peter

Volunteer Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community