cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Safe Search Icons missing.

Greetings! Yesterday I installed McAfee Security Center 8.1. It included Site Advisor 2.5.6172. There are no safe search icons showing up in Google Searches in either IE 7 or FF 3.0.1. There are no ratings of any kind showing up in IE 7 when I do either a Windows Live Search or a Yahoo Search. Something seems to be wrong but I don't know what, nor how to fix it. I have tried to update the software through the Security Center Update button several times; but each time I'm told that my software is up to date. Do I need a patch or upgrade of Site Advisor? I understand that there is a later vs. than 2.5. And, if I do, how do I get it and safely install it so as not to cause problems with my existing Security Center installation? Or do I need to do something else? Thanks so much for your help! :confused:
9 Replies
Highlighted

RE: Safe Search Icons missing.

Did you install from a CD? That version is old. Try clicking the down arrow to the right of the SA icon and seeing if you can update it. ("Get latest version")
Highlighted

Thank you for your reply. I did as you suggested and successfully downloaded the new vs. of Site Advisor which is now listed as 2.6.6261. The problems outlined in my initial posting, however, persist. I have read about vs. 2.8 or 2.9 being out, yet the one downloaded from the McAfee site is 2.6. Something has to be wrong, I think. I'm not exactly sure how to begin to diagnose or fix the problem, especially if it's the result of some sort of software and/or extension/add on conflict. I'd appreciate further assistance. Thanks so much! sad
Highlighted

This usually corrects itself. Did you reboot?
Highlighted

Yep, I rebooted. The following problems persist:
1. In Firefox 3.0.1: No icons at all regardless of search engine used.
2. In IE 7: No icons in Yahoo search.

There are now icons showing in IE 7 in Google and Windows Live searches. This is truly odd. And, by the way, I really appreciate your quick responses and assistance!! Thanks so much!:)
Highlighted

See if anything here helps: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=221675&highlight=icons+search

I doubt we'll see any technicians dropping in here until at least tomorrow so you might want to try Technical Support Chat, linked in my signature.
Highlighted

Thanks so much! The thread that you listed seemed to fix the problem. I'll let you know if it recurs. Until then, I appreciate your help! happy
Highlighted

You're welcome. By the way regarding Yahoo....

Yahoo Search also has a new way of handling SiteAdvisor. See the blog for information. It is in beta so please make allowances for the occasional odd behaviour.

To quote myself from another thread.
Highlighted

Re: Safe Search Icons missing.

I know this is an old thread, but it comes up high in search results for this issue.

SiteAdvisor still has this issue in 2011. As of April 2011, it has the SiteRatings icons in Bing search results correctly, but NOT in Yahoo or Google search results. If you turn off the "Instant Search" in Google, you will see the Icons. So, Instant Search seems to break it.

The SiteAdvisor also will not load in the latest Firefox 4.0 as of today, Firefox just disables the add-on and says it is not compatible.

Bottom line, SiteAdvisor is not keeping up with the changing web. It probably works for Internet Explorer vius site blocking ok, but I wouldn't count on it showing icons in all of the search engine results uless they start working to keep it up-to-date with the various big Search engines. I doubt it works at all in any of the other Browsers either (Chome, Safari, etc). So, to really protect your users you would prob need to force them all to use IE only to get the viorus site blocking ability.

Highlighted

Re: Safe Search Icons missing.

Re: Firefox 4 you may need to update your installation as the last 3 versions 3.3.1.129 through 133 are all compatible with FF4.  129 however did have some problems with FF4 and IE9 and that's why the next 2 came out - all in the last few days.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community