Sorry, I'm getting here a little late but I've got nothing else to add.. I'm not aware of any updates at this time regarding SA.. I think they're still dealing with contract issues and till that's finished, I'm not sure any "fixes" are getting priority.
To answer your question, I use both FF and IE6 (I'm wary of IE7 which seems buggy), and I had SA running on both. I guess it was the SA within IE which caused the problem, since IE is apparently linked (deep in the Registry!) to Outlook Express. But when I uninstalled SA, I cleaned it out completely using Uninstall and the special McAfee Removal Tool.
Like you, I preferred SA because it provided useful detail about dodgy sites.
Like you I'm now trying TP (in both FF and IE6). Better than nothing, and it doesn't interfere with Outook Express.
But I too would like to go back to SA when/if McAfee produces a revised version which addresses, and solves, "The OE Problem". Since they now have as much information and user feedback as they need, and a clear pointer to the source of the problem (the Sept update) it surely can't be that hard to identify and resolve it. What's holding them back?
No need to apologize for "lateness", as I'm doing the same getting back to you. :rolleyes: I was only asking if there was any updated information, regarding the unrelated patch Shane wrote of in his SA blog. Peter's reply to Br1anstorm's query, in turn answered my question. He relayed the site admin's "information" quite clearly and succinctly. I hope it's understood I created this thread with the best of intentions. All I ever set out to do was make the issue known. I wanted to make it known to "the forum". I also wanted to (privately) make it known to those directly involved with SA. I felt I accomplished both. I never once asked for the problem to be dealt with, nor did I really expect it would. (Perhaps at a later point in time) I hope I haven't written in such a way, where my words were construed otherwise.
My thanks again to Peter for his efforts. And my thanks (as always) to you. Carol
You're welcome. In the last sentence of your post, you asked, "What's holding them back". If you read Peter's post, I believe he couldn't have made it much clearer.
As briefly as I'm able, since I'm not sure this is the place to "compare notes": I uninstalled TP as I couldn't rely on it and frankly.. found it a waste. I originally uninstalled SA from FF, as I had reason to believe it would still affect OE. With that said, as previously mentioned I've since reinstalled the SA plug-in for FF and left IE bare. SA in FF is not causing issues with OE. It's up to you if you wish to try it. If you should choose to do the same, I would suggest uninstalling TP from IE. I've read of problems having both installed.
Best of luck to you.. Carol
(No disrespect meant at all, but if you wish to discuss the differences between the two, I would suggest doing so where I mentioned in a previous post. I hope you understand why I feel this is not the proper place. Thanks.)
No problem... and I take your point about which forums are appropriate for comparisons. Though having said that, surely McAfee can't be unaware of the alternatives to their own product? And surely they are not so thin-skinned (in this tough and competitive marketplace) as to be offended by mention of potential rivals? Anyway, we all continue to wait and see what emerges from McAfee as a result of all this - mostly constructive and well-intentioned - customer feedback.
At some point in time, you expressed a desire to have SiteAdvisor back. I thought I might let you know a new version has been released (v22.214.171.12453 ). I installed it earlier in the day, and thus far there have been no issues with OE. There are other's who have experienced the same. Prior to uninstalling SA from IE, I was able to "force" the issue, which resulted in OE crashing. I'm unable to do the same with this version. You probably know by now, I'm usually cautious with my actions and words. I'm extremely optimistic and feel it's well worth installing. If for some reason, within the next couple of days, I find my optimisim was premature, I'll be sure to post back and let you know!
I installed the free standalone. Someone who has McAfee's Security Suite, was unable to get the new version when she used the dropdown menu, where you're given the option to "get the latest version". She was able to download the new version from here:
In an idle moment between wrapping presents, writing Christmas cards and stuffing turkey (!) I did indeed check my three regular points-of-reference (this Forum, the MS community OE newsgroup, and PA Bear's AumHa forum) for news. Saw your and others' latest posts. It's looking good - it seems there has been progress! A very welcome bit of glad tidings...
Think I'll hold off uninstalling TP and reinstalling SA until after I've recovered from festive season overindulgence. By then I assume you, PA Bear and the others who have already downloaded the new version of SA will have been able to test it thoroughly...
Season's greetings and best wishes for the New Year to you and other colleagues on these forums.
This certainly is a change of events. I was usually the cautious one of the group, but it didn't take long for me to become "a believer". I tried the first day to illicit a crash from OE and was unable to. That said, I'm still going to wait one more day before I hang any signs out. ==>> I think you know which direction I'm leaning. I still have a couple of lingering questions, but it shouldn't affect whether I keep it or not. When I know for sure, no doubt you'll read it here or elsewhere.