Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abmchi
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 50

Re: Problem with safe sites icons

Jump to solution

how would I contact "a Senior member of Web Advisor Team" ?  [even getting to 2nd level tech took 1-2hr & 1st level tech's didn't even know of 4/26 bug-fix pending]

thanks, ac

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 50

Jump to solution

I meant that (I) would normally contact Doug whom is a Senior Level Engineer whom works closely with the Web Advisor team. However he is on (PTO) at the present time. However we will bring this up today on our conference Call.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
abmchi
Level 7
Message 13 of 50

Jump to solution

any f/u ?

btw, after phone call f/u discussion with 2nd or 3rd level tech 2017-04-28  was told:

1)  the webadvisor new version 4.0.6 has not yet been released, and

2)  claims that when mcafee total protection updates, webadvisor contained within would update.

However, what doesn't make sense is that even after uninstall/install, my IE11 still had siteadvisor "safe-search" (yahoo search w/the old tags) still listed in manage-add-ons as default search engine...long after it no longer worked on IE11 ... leading me to think that the firefox problem [causing 53.0 to crash unless disabled] possibly required more than a usual control panel uninstall...possibly still has reg hooks .... net-net, does webadvisor require a special uninstall program before reinstall [I don't want to use the mcpr.exe uninstall since that'll take out the whole mcafee program.].

3) btw, if you do speak w/ "Doug" , would suggest to mcafee that a higher end and more closely supported standalone [or adjunctive program] webadvisor-type program would be well worth paying for ... at least I would.

thks, ac

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 50

Jump to solution

Doug should be back in the office Monday morning. I have brought this up as a Topic of discussion on our Conference Call tomorrow, as he works closely with the Web Advisor Team/Devs. I will update you in this thread afterwards

Also, do you have your settings set to "Tell me if a search result is safe in any search engine"?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
abmchi
Level 7
Message 15 of 50

Jump to solution

1- it was set to work in all search engines and I would guess uninstall/reinstall of same version [4.0.5.127] would not change this as likely a preserved reg key

2- now, since no settings menu shows in IE11 and enabling it in FF 543.0 totally crashes FF, there appears no way to check it

3-just got off phone with McAfee rep who said as part of testing my use of current webadvisor issue, I need to have flash installed and java as well, and

4- More importantly I was told that the that new version of WebAdvisor may well require Java.... a surprising requirement for a Security company like McAfee given java's security issues.

looking forward to hearing from you after you discuss w/Doug ... also whether they will be requiring java and/or flash for searches using the coming webadvisor update .... 

Please relay that would not a good move in my opinion...Needing java installed to be able to do "safe-search" is an Oxymoron...flash at least you can enable/disable if you want animation...

thanks.

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 50

Jump to solution

It is recommended that you uninstall Web Advisor from your Control Panel/Programs and Features/Restart.Then reinstall here WebAdvisor Download.

It is my understanding also that yes, you need to have the latest Adobe Flash Player installed. Simply keep it on Automatic Updating so it will install monthly. And be careful to (uncheck) any optional offers that may be initially bundled with the software/download.

As for Java, i only have Java script installed by windows default, and there is a difference.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 50

Jump to solution

When you say you have 'Safe Search' enabled, I would assume you are referring to Yahoo Safe Search? Actually I have that disabled as it on occasions can cause issues also. I leave it to Google as my default search engine. And never experience any such issues.

Just thought I would add that..

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
abmchi
Level 7
Message 18 of 50

Jump to solution

A.  reply to catdaddy 20 and 21.  had already done uninstall and reinstall x2 [but see below] .... ver 4.0.5.127 still crashed firefox unless disabled in ff-safemode.  I erred---mean to write 'secure search' .. agree w/comment re yahoo search

B.  HOWEVER, NEW MINOR VERSION JUST RELEASED = 4.0.5.137    [137 VS. PREVIOUS 127] and this installs and solves the firefox crash.  now settings available and can set to  shows tags in all search engines.

Also, and I don't really understand why this works, it requires flashplayer to be installed to work, BUT it even works when I set it to "never activate", ie disabled, (instead of 'ask to activate') ... so must use a portion of the software  [flashplayer is shockwave 25.0.0.148]

this may ver 4.0.5.137 may well have been expedited to solve ff 53.0 crash issue ... and 4.0.6 version appears to be still pending.

thank you for the helpful thoughts and support

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 50

Jump to solution

I am glad to hear all is okay.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
abmchi
Level 7
Message 20 of 50

Jump to solution

here we go again....

with firefox 54.0 (64 bit) , webadvisor again crashes firefox.... after 3 crashes, in safe mode I had to disable it for firefox to restart again....after refreshing firefox, meaning have to reset all aspects...

latest version of webadvisor that crashed latest firefox is ver 4.0.6.17  .

Seems that mcafee webadvisor extn can't keep up with firefox updates [ver 4.0.5.137 finally worked with FF 53.0 thru 53.03].

possibly you can give this feedback to mcafee .....  since I like webadvisor/old-siteadvisor, but the hassle of crashing FF and then restting it after disabling webadvisor....at some point -------

anyone else have this problem?  any thoughts?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community