cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New McAfee Download -- Or Was It?

Yesterday, 26 August 2019, I downloaded what purported to be a free McAfee program that offered protection against browser hijacking. I have not been able to find it with the other McAfee program on my Chrome extensions page (WebAdvisor, etc). It said that it would flag up any attempt to hijack my browser, and explained what hijacking was and its symptoms, such as slow-running browsers using up vast amounts of memory. It also said that a message would appear, something like 'Do you want your browser to be hijacked?', and warning against dubious sites.

My Chrome browser has been slow, using up large quantities of memory, hence my interest in this program, and it still does run slowly. Can anyone advise whether this program is genuine, or whether I've managed to download a fake, some malware disguised as a legitimate program. I can't find this program on McAfee's free download pages. Unfortunately, I CCleaned my PC yesterday evening, so I can't look back at what sites I visited.

3 Replies

Re: New McAfee Download -- Or Was It?

To assist the mods here answering this what was the name of the program or do you not remember?

Madhan
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Hello @Paul_of_London ,

I've sent you a private message. Please check and reply to that message.

Regards,
Madhan M

Madhan called me this afternoon and we discussed the question that I raised. It seems fairly certain that there is no problem and no need to take action other than carrying out routine virus checks and checks with McAfee download tools. My thanks to the team for dealing with this.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community