cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcollake
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

McAfee bundle now with SUN Java updates (almost every Windows PC)

Jump to solution

Today I was notified of an update to Java. To my dismay, on the second dialog, clicked for me was a nice bundle with a free McAfee scan. Does it install SiteAdvisor plug-in too? I don't know. I do know that they've got money and are throwing it around. The smaller competitors have an uphill battle, despite often superior services (IMHO). Of course, I am a bit jaded after having two 'accidents' with SiteAdvisor, and being a critic of their policies.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcollake
Level 10
Message 10 of 10

Re: McAfee bundle now with SUN Java updates (almost every Windows PC)

Jump to solution

I intended no flooding or flaming, and this is MY thread. Just to clarify to anyone thinking I was flaming someone's thread. I did not want there to be confusion about that.This bundle with SUN is optional in the sense you CAN UNCHECK (if you notice it) their 'McAfee free scanner recommendation tool' (whatever they call it). If you don't, then you get a McAfee Free Scan that recommends... Well, you can guess what it recommends, because I have not tried it. I refuse to use their software myself.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 2/27/11 5:37:53 AM GMT-05:00
9 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

No it's merely an optional security scan that you can refuse and should refuse if you already have security software.

If by any chance you accidentally allowed it to install it is easily removable in the normal manner for any software, via the Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP), Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista/Windows 7) - just look for McAfee Security Scan Plus in the list.

If you check some other utilities, notable Adobe Flash or Reader etc, you will see the same and even one from the competition, Symantec/Norton.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/02/11 8:31:59 EST PM
jcollake
Level 10
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Optional in the sense the checkbox is checked by default you mean . And, yes, it may be only a precursor to SiteAdvisor install, as it recommends McAfee, and THEN you get SiteAdvisor. I didn't allow it, I unchecked the box that WAS checked by DEFAULT. I agree these bundles exist in the industry. I hate them, I thought McAfee rated sites RED for having them?!?!

Message was edited by: jcollake on 2/27/11 5:22:19 AM GMT-05:00
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Security Scan Plus has nothing whatsoever to do with SiteAdvisor.   It is merely to check how secure a system is and make recommendations accordingly,   It is one of many products from McAfee and Norton and others that are offered by Sun and Adobe etc. on a reciprocal sales promotion basis.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/02/11 12:24:16 EST PM
jcollake
Level 10
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

So it does not include, or is not bundled with SiteAdvisor?

UPDATE: And Free McAfee scan to tell you which AV scanner is best for you? What?!? I wonder what recommendation it ALWAYS makes Once that seleciton is made, SIteAdvisor comes, wtih, right?

Message was edited by: jcollake on 2/26/11 12:47:19 PM GMT-05:00
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

No it does not include, or is not bundled with SiteAdvisor.    We know that SiteAdvisor is a sore spot with you right now but really, you should confine yourself to the two threads you have going already as we are busy enough.   SiteAdvisor is an optioinal download except with the upper tier of suites where SiteAdvisor Plus is included and it can always be disabled anyway.

jcollake
Level 10
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

I hope you saw my update. I know, sometimes the truth is hard to acknowledge at times when you first hear it. If you dispute that, please do, as I want to be correct here and not make any inaccurate statement.

jcollake
Level 10
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Since it is important to YOU, I will not criticize them for this practice, though they got a WHALE of a bundle (yea, i know, its not a bundle, it just links to evenutally having SiteAdvisor installed).

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Please stop flooding.   I've had to read all your posts and I really don't have the time.  You've been told that support are dealing with your complaint and flaming other peoples' threads is not helping us and certainly not helping your case.

jcollake
Level 10
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

I intended no flooding or flaming, and this is MY thread. Just to clarify to anyone thinking I was flaming someone's thread. I did not want there to be confusion about that.This bundle with SUN is optional in the sense you CAN UNCHECK (if you notice it) their 'McAfee free scanner recommendation tool' (whatever they call it). If you don't, then you get a McAfee Free Scan that recommends... Well, you can guess what it recommends, because I have not tried it. I refuse to use their software myself.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 2/27/11 5:37:53 AM GMT-05:00

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community