cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee blocks Minimal Risk site

Wow - coming from the world of Linux ... I was informed by a Church member that www.midwayumc.net is being blocked by McAfee Net Guard on Windows 10 using Edge Browser!  Just a little google exercised and finding the KB article about www.trustedsource.org and how to dispute and add your site to a trusted list -- WOW!!  isn't this like a denial of service attack being perpetrated on our website by McAfee?  This is the EXACT reason I went to Linux...  to bad I could only drag a few Window users with me - but you guys just might be helping me convert more.  

Would you please help me help Window users stupid enough to use your product? 

Included in Mcafee ticket #2156475 on www.midwayumc.net 
Although your database is showing this site as 'Minimal Risk' your software is blocking the site.  This site is located on a shared web hosting site through Arvixe and on server 143.95.32.194 which is assigned by you as a phishing site ....   How do we resolve this? 
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: McAfee blocks Minimal Risk site

We regret for the inconvenience caused. We will review the submitted website and update the status.

Please refer the kb article for more details on Net Guard blocks connections to specific websites 

Highlighted

I know this seems I am being very impatience ... basically because I am 🙂  but my ticket 2156475 just seemed to blow right by in a very cryptic email as open - followed by closed with feedback that anything changed.  My Domain www.midwayumc.net had minimal risk .  However hosted on a server dallas165.arvixeshared.com (143.95.32.194) is ranked as phishing site.  There could be hundreds of websites on this server and I am sure a bad actor or more - but I opened a ticket on server's IP  .... ticket 2156647.   The ticket is open for review - but what is the solution here?   

Highlighted

So let's recap how this process is going - My website is classed as a minimal risk site but was being blocked because my host provider's service IP was on the naughty list.  (NO HELP FROM MCAFEE TO DETERMINE THIS)  so request on my domain generated NO HELP FROM MCAFEE. This killed 24hrs

2.  I created a request to review my host provider server IP.  I have no way of knowing if there is one bad actor site on their shared hosting server.... could be hundreds....  it took two days and my site can be accessed if I go and manually removed the blocked IP from Net Guard. (it is in 'review status'  Wonder if bloked IP will automagicly get deleted during an update or any user blocked will remain blocked until NET GUARD is FLUSHED manually?  

3.  I understand the desire to build a trusted site database, but your bots, network analysis algorithms and AI is significantly flawed...  if you block legitimate sites how does this not class you as DoS (Denial-of-Service) attack?    

Highlighted

@myke4416 

Sorry for the inconvenience. Since because the ip address of the website is blocked by Net Guard, this has to be allowed in McAfee Net Guard. The below steps will help to fix the issue

1. Open McAfee.
  2. Click Web and Email Protection or click the Gear icon at the top-right corner.
  3. Select Firewall, then scroll down and click Net Guard.
  4. Select the IP Address listed for the site that you want to access.

NOTE: To identify the IP address by name, you need to use a DNS or IP address lookup tool.

5. Click Edit, then change Block to Allow.
  6. Click Save, or Apply.

Regards
Siva

Highlighted

Siva -

As for your solution- working around the problem is NOT A FIX.   As stated in the original comment - I have an open ticket on my web host's server @Trustedsource.org and it is clear for now and holding in 'Review Status'....

I am pretty sure the best solution is uninstall McAfee (just for kicks) re-format the machine and install Linux :-)))  Best of Luck! 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community