Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d0m1n8r
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 22

McAfee SiteAdvisor/WebAdvisor Insufficient Virus Protection

So yesterday and again today I get a warning about insufficient virus protection. Yesterday I ignored but today I wanted to find out what its complaining about. Only thing I could do is click "Fix It" so I did hoping that it would give me more information about the suggested fix. However it instead came up saying "Fixing It" with absolutely no information on what actions its actually taking. No more pop up now with error but I also see no new software installed although I see that "WebAdvisor" was installed yesterday.

I would really appreciate more information in regards to what did happen today and suggest making this software more informative in the future.

21 Replies
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: McAfee SiteAdvisor/WebAdvisor Insufficient Virus Protection

I haven't seen this yet but others have noted that WebAdvisor produces some strange messages. It's possible that that was a WebAdvisor message but I can't be sure. If you'd got a screenshot at the time that would have helped us decide what it was all about.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Usually the message says webadvisor on left hand side of the popup. I wonder is this an action centre message it does give warnings erroneously in the task bar.

Was the popup at top of the browser or bottom right of the windows screen?

Another thought is have you got Mcafee security scan plus installed if so remove it.This an advertising program that you get when you install adobe etc

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Good Points PK. I get an occasional 'Banner' welcoming me to Web Advisor. The upper-hand portion of the screen, on v4.0.1.115.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 22

I guess the question would be, what security protection do you actually have anyway?

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 22

It seems that the OP has McAfee?  It does sound more like the symptoms of Security Scan Plus. But who knows...a screenshot would definitely help.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 22

d0m1n8r wrote:

So yesterday and again today I get a warning about insufficient virus protection. Yesterday I ignored but today I wanted to find out what its complaining about. Only thing I could do is click "Fix It" so I did hoping that it would give me more information about the suggested fix. However it instead came up saying "Fixing It" with absolutely no information on what actions its actually taking. No more pop up now with error but I also see no new software installed although I see that "WebAdvisor" was installed yesterday.

I would really appreciate more information in regards to what did happen today and suggest making this software more informative in the future.

If you see Security Scan Plus listed in Control Panel > Programs and Features, please uninstall it.

It's an advertising tool that arrives with certain other 3rd party products as an optional extra.

d0m1n8r
Level 7
Message 8 of 22

I got message yesterday and today again. Here is a snip under the address bar of chrome

SiteAdvisor.PNG

I did not see "Security Scan Plus" installed.

Installed for security, I have Bitdefender, Spybot, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, Norton Security Scan. Regularly scan and everything is coming up clean.

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 22

@dOm1n8r,

Running more than one  Anti-Virus can cause conflicts/clashes with your McAfee Software. My recommendation is to uninstall Bitdefender ,Spybot (No longer recommended due to the 'Tea Timer' module) Norton Security Scan. Having Malwarebytes (Free) onboard is considered to be compatible as no RTS is enabled. It serves as a compliment to your McAfee Protection.

I am surprised that you have not experienced further issues.

All the Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 22

After revisiting your thread. Are you saying you only have 'McAfee Web Advisor' installed? I was under the impression you were running McAfee as a Security Solution? Any way though,Having more than one product with the Real Time Scan Module, can cause conflicts between each application.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community