cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO add-on

I have to disable this add-on in IE7, because I get an error message (dialog box) on certain sites.

The error message is stated below:

Internet Explorer can not open this internet site "website address".
Operation aborted

The error message (dialog box) appears after clicking a link in a particular site.

This has happened to me at IGN.com. But once I disable it everything is fine.

Could you tell me what is the purpose of this add-on? And why does this message (dialog box) appear?
3 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

RE: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO add-on

To quote from SiteAdvisor's home page:

McAfee SiteAdvisor warns you before you interact with a dangerous Web site. Traditional security products focus on trying to clean up problems after they occur.

McAfee SiteAdvisor also complements and enhances your existing security software by detecting threats which traditional security products often miss, including spyware attacks, online scams, and sites that spam you.

Have you enabled "Protected Mode" ? Click the down arrow to the right of the toolbar icon check the menu.

Is your browser set to it's default settings or have you enabled extra phishing filters and/or Content Advisor?

It is entirely voluntary - you do not have to use it.

My McAfee SiteAdvisor is ENABLED. Is that what you meant by your first question?

For your second question, phishing filters and Content Advisor on IE7 are BOTH DISABLED.
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

No it's not what I meant. Is Siteadvisor part of a bigger McAfee package, if so double-click the taskbar icon to open the Security center and then click "About" at the lower right and give me the version numbers from each module...?

Or...did you download it from http://www.sitadvisor.com ?

Siteadvisor doesn't prevent you from going to webpages unless its Protected Mode is turned on, and that only exists in SiteAdvisor Plus so click the small down arrow to the right of the icon and select "About", at least tell me what that says.
In any case it also gives you the option of continuing on to that webpage anyway, so it is possible that you are blaming the wrong application.