Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ffwfire
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 18

I have a question about popcap games

Why is the site listed as green? I was going to play Bejewled 2 (I was only going to play online) on popcap games, but to my surprise Mcafee came up. Files: C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MY USERNAME\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP\ICD1.TMP\POPCAPLOADER.DLL

Detection Name: Downloader-ABJ

I am currently scanning the computer. I just think it is odd that Mcafee would overlook that. Thank you.

Michelle
17 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 18

RE: I have a question about popcap games

Did you download anything? I ask because I just clicked on Bejewld 2 and I didn't get any warnings.
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Check out what McAfee says here: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_134071.htm (See Removal tab).

I'll report this.
ffwfire
Level 7
Message 4 of 18

Here is a screen shot http://img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26533114kv9.jpg. (I went to it again and tried to install the activex files again.) No, I wasn't doing anything else. I have a lot of browser windows open but I switch between brower windows a lot. It is kind of strange that you didn't get anything. I clicked on the play online game tab. I also looked at your site advisor rating and the other site advisor user comments and some of them had problems.

Thank you

Michelle
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 18

I didn't go as far as downloading/installing anything. I've reported it and left a negative review at SA's site.
If you see the McAfee link above it isn't anything too serious but I can see the poInt about two parts of McAfee not agreeing with each other.

Is your machine OK now?
ffwfire
Level 7
Message 6 of 18

I really didn't notice anything wrong with my machine, because Mcafee didn't let it install. But since you didn't install the activex I don't think you would be infected with it. It came up when I tried to install the activex's to play Bejewled 2 online.

Thank you

Michelle

Question: Isn't a downloader something that installs programs without your knowledge?
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 18

According to the web "A program designed to retrieve and install additional files, when run. Most will be configured to retrieve from a designated web or FTP site"
Note the "when run" so basically it's OK if you didn't run it. Sometimes these are false readings too. But it's best to act on the side of caution.
ffwfire
Level 7
Message 8 of 18

Thank you for responding Ex Brit and thank you for reporting it and have a great day. I am running another scan to make sure I got all the infected files off my machine. I think popcap games should be red, if not red then yellow. At least that is my opinion. Thank you.

Michelle
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Agreed. I've alerted the Forum Administrator to pass this on and, as I said, left a negative review on that site's SA page. There are 6 negs and 12 pos reviews so far I think.

Good luck.

Thanks Peter and have a great day and a great Thanksgiving.

Edit: Oops sorry you're not from the United States. Just have a great week then.

Michelle