cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
npheriz
Level 7

Epson Scanner driver stops working - looks like McAfee blocks it?

I have multiple PCs but have found that when I loaded drivers for my desktop scanner (Epson Perfection 1670) and began scanning, that the process halts.  This locks up my laptop PC and leaves the scan hanging.

Laptop PC is Dell XPS model + Windows 7 Ultimate.

The scanner works fine on my Dell Desktop XPS 430.  Also Windows 7 Ultimate.  The only difference is that the laptop runs McAfee, while the desktop runs Norton. 

I have consulted Epson and I am using their latest compliant driver/scanner utility on both PCs.  I have also checked with Dell, there is no explanation from the PC angle but they believe there must be a setting in McAfee that prevents the scanner communicating properly with my laptop PC.  They did suggest 'checking -(x)' - file sharing under Firewall Settings, but this didn't work either.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong and what settings I should be using to allow the scanner to operate through McAfee Security Centre?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Epson Scanner driver stops working - looks like McAfee blocks it?

1. Has the printer/scanner got an Ip address if so is it allowed in the firewall connection's list? Is it on the network and is the network trusted?

2. as a test disable first the firewall and  test scanner. Reenabale it and disable the Virus scanner. Test each other installed component especially parental controls.

If scanner still locks up it could be another cause. If it now runs go to tech services link in the useful links tab ablove and contact chat and see if they can help you (Oh reanable all components). If necessary escalate issue to a higher yeir tech. ( You request initial tech that you wish to have issue escalated)

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/06/11 6:40:29 PM
0 Kudos
npheriz
Level 7

Good afternoon Tony,

Thank you for responding.

I am connecting the Scanner directly via a USB cable, not a network.

I have tried disabling both the virus scanner and the firewall on the laptop - but this does not seem to make any difference!

Do I assume that this means the problem is not with McAfee?

I have been working on the problem for some hours now (!!) and cannot identify any conflicting software. 

The only apparent difference is that the laptop had McAfee while my desktop runs with Norton?

Nigel

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Seems like not Mcafee but to be sure

1 uninstall Mcafee fully via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Reboot and test printer

Run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Reinstall again from your account. See if that helps

0 Kudos