cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephenv
Level 7

Cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook email

Jump to solution

Since installing McAfee I can no longer open hyperlinks in email messages.  I receive the Outlook error message "Your organization's policies are preventing us from completing this action for you.  For more info, please contact your help desk."  Of course, I am an individual user so have no help desk.

I do not know for sure that McAfee is the cause of this, but this started exactly when I installed McAfee so it seems a reasonable conclusion.  My next step may be to uninstall McAfee and see if that fixes the problem.

Relevant info:

- Windows 8.1 Pro

- Outlook 2013

- McAfee installed and updated as of 2013-12-20

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook email

Jump to solution

Outlook,Outlook Express (Formerly "Hotmail") is part of Windows. It is imperative that one must keep their systems fully updated, to include Internet Explorer (11). I recommend not tampering with the Internet Explorer settings.

As a matter of fact, it is best to have IE11 set at the "Default settings"  Even if you do not utilize it as your default Browser. Most occasions when installing an optional Browser, one "Imports" IE settings. Just a guess, this could explain your issue.

McAfee uses Internet Explorer for it,s UI Interface, and other functionalities. IE11 being the Latest Version, and must at all times be kept current. I am certain one of the Moderators can expand on my comments, as their full knowledge superceeds mine.

Have a Merry Christmas

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 12/21/13 5:24:39 AM CST
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
5 Replies
stephenv
Level 7

Jump to solution

Amazingly, I solved the problem but don't really understand why so I am posting this to see if anyone has any insight, or perhaps it can help someone else with a similar problem.

In searching online for clues about this I came across an Outlook site that talked about changing settings in Internet Explorer, and it occured to me that yesterday I deactivated IE in Windows (trying to fix another problem).  Even though I don't use IE (Chrome is my default browser) I re-activated it to see what would happen and "voilá" the hyperlinks in Outlook starting to connecting properly to Chrome.

Anyone have any idea why deactivating IE would prevent hyperlinks from connecting to the default browser?

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Outlook,Outlook Express (Formerly "Hotmail") is part of Windows. It is imperative that one must keep their systems fully updated, to include Internet Explorer (11). I recommend not tampering with the Internet Explorer settings.

As a matter of fact, it is best to have IE11 set at the "Default settings"  Even if you do not utilize it as your default Browser. Most occasions when installing an optional Browser, one "Imports" IE settings. Just a guess, this could explain your issue.

McAfee uses Internet Explorer for it,s UI Interface, and other functionalities. IE11 being the Latest Version, and must at all times be kept current. I am certain one of the Moderators can expand on my comments, as their full knowledge superceeds mine.

Have a Merry Christmas

Regards,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 12/21/13 5:24:39 AM CST
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Open your Default Programs in Administrative Tools and make sure Outlook and whatever browser you are using have all their defaults.

Tutorial here:  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9173-default-programs-set-your-default-programs-windows-8-a.htm... also see:  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9163-default-programs-associate-file-type-protocol-windows-8-a....

Also make sure they have Full permission in SecurityCenter > Web and Email Protection > Firewall > internet Connections for Programs.

0 Kudos
stephenv
Level 7

Jump to solution

Very interesting, I was not aware of these connections in Windows, but it makes sense now that you explain it.  Thanks everyone for your help!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Windows 8/8.1 is not really different from any other Windows in that regard except settings can sometimes be rather difficult to find if one uses the Metro/Modern interface exclusively..

If you have any problems that we can't help with there is always Technical Support linked under Useful Links at the top pf this page, it's free, or there is always that Win 8 Forum of course, they are pretty helpful with Windows questions.

0 Kudos