cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 58

Re: After firefox update to version 57.0 Webadvisor disabled.

hello catdaddy,

great that there are shortcuts with tech people from McAfee as contacts.

frustrating for them too ofcourse when a new program is released or updated and in this case there WA extension is not working anymore as it should be.

hope they can reproduce the findings in their Lab..........

Hello

For myself I don´t trust the WA anymore. Sometimes the icon stays grey after I start up my computer. Most of the time i use the chrome webreader. If I disable the WA in extensions and then enable it again it usally goes to green. What kind of files does it check ? somtimes a message comes up saying it is checking a file and sometimes not. If I use IE 11 I don´t get the geen arrow or the warnings in the search results. In IE 11 extensions there are two different notes about the WA both say they are  activated but one entry says no data is available. Is´nt it suposed to show results in searcg results in IE11 ? They show up with Firefox and chrome when WA is working. Or is there some kind of setting I have to do to get it working with IE11 ?

I see i posted this as an answer but it is a couple of questions and observations.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Message 23 of 58

hello jonnywalker,

you are correct that WA behaves different in IE11. it has reduced features in IE11. in FF and Chrome it has the full set off features . i remembered that when the changes were applied in IE11 i asked something about this. i have searched in my inbox and found these 2 documents;

Antivirus Software and Internet Security For Your PC or Mac | McAfee

does this help answer your questions ?

Reliable Contributor
Message 24 of 58

in addition to above something i would like to mention;

if you open IE11 and go with the mousepointer to the upperside, than rightclick and a menu will open. if you click on the 3th option it will add a menubar in IE11 with a home icon, rssfeed icon,printer icon ect and a mcafee icon from WA.

if you click on this mcafee icon you have the siterapport info from WA to your disposel......

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 25 of 58

Strange that seems to bring up the option to trust a site and to see the WA version details etc. It is not active wrt showing green for safe sites etc

Hello Peacekeeper and Cyberdude.

Not showing the green arrow or warnings are frustrating. That´s usually the first thing I look for when searching. I wonder if the WA does anything in IE 11 and if so, what and how do I know it does it ? For example does the banner come down when you  download a file and tells you that the WA is checking the file?

Ok I don´t use IE often but would be good to know anyhow. Sorry about this ,should have followed the links provided above before posting. Thank you. Most questions answered about IE and WA.

JW

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 27 of 58

Usually IE12 WA does warn re accessing a site if bad otherwise minimal info re ticks and green ratings.

NOTE: In Internet Explorer, SiteAdvisor works in headless mode. In this mode, no toolbar is displayed unless there is a problem detected on your installed security product (for example, the Firewall, or Real time scanning is turned off). You can change the product settings from within the Internet Explorer Tools menu (the cog wheel at the top right). 

Additionally, from version 4.0.4, McAfee WebAdvisor for Internet Explorer has a reduced feature set due to changes in the way that browser extensions are allowed to integrate with Internet Explorer. See TS102584 for more details.

This might change

Reliable Contributor
Message 28 of 58

hello Peacekeeper and Jonnywalker,

Peackeeper, you are correct.....clicking on the McAfee icon opens a window within you can choose for settings or option details. this is also available in FF. it has not the interactive icon display when visiting a site or site rapport anymore because of the reason explained in the document.

it does however has a typosquat correction for accidential visiting a fake website.....

Jonnywalker, have you tried the typosquat example that was provided in the second link ?

www.edby.com instead of www.ebay.com ?

IE11 does check a file download. if you download a program file like Ccleaner or some other program file, you will see that after the download WA visible scans this file.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 29 of 58

cyberdude wrote:

hello Peacekeeper and Jonnywalker,

Peackeeper, you are correct.....clicking on the McAfee icon opens a window within you can choose for settings or option details. this is also available in FF. it has not the interactive icon display when visiting a site or site rapport anymore because of the reason explained in the document.

it does however has a typosquat correction for accidential visiting a fake website.....

Jonnywalker, have you tried the typosquat example that was provided in the second link ?

www.edby.com instead of www.ebay.com ?

IE11 does check a file download. if you download a program file like Ccleaner or some other program file, you will see that after the download WA visible scans this file.

In FF57 I get a blank page on that first website given.  Is that cause by my Adblocker Plus extension?

Reliable Contributor
Message 30 of 58

hello exbrit,

uhhh.....actually.......a mistypo of myself...............

in the document it says as example; www.ebdy.com and not www.edby.com

if you will try the first one it will show the warning page in FF57 with Adblock Plus enabled.

example of the warning page in this document;

the second one and my own mistypo www.edby.com gives a blank page with or without Adblock Plus enabled. maybe non existent ?........

thanks for pointing this out to me.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community