cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

possible to Allow/Block by YouTube uploader for embedded videos?

Jump to solution

I used the rules on https://community.mcafee.com/message/260381#260381 for how to allow/block YouTube videos based on who uploaded the video.  I was wondering if it'd be possible to do the same thing for embedded videos on various sites.

From how I understand it, for this to work the proxy takes URLS that are like www.youtube.com/?v=<videoID> and then use's youtube's api to look upt that particular ID.  That works great for blocking youtube videos whenever a user is on the youtube site iteself, but it does not work when a user is vieweing embedded links.  These links appear as http://www.youtube.com/embed/<videoID>?modestbranding=1&rel=0&showsearch=0&showinfo=0  and since they do not have the paramater "v" they will not hit the rules to be looked up.

I also know that after you hit play on an embeded video the following type of URL is called http://www.youtube.com/get_video_info?eurl=<eurl>&asv=3&video_id=<videoID>&el=embedded&hl=en_US which has the same issue, no "v" paramater.

My question is, is there a way for me to get a certain part of the url and pass it to the API just like the "v" paramater is passed?  So just grab the video ID that comes after the /embed/ and &video_id=  ?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: chasx003 on 1/9/13 6:00:52 PM CST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: possible to Allow/Block by YouTube uploader for embedded videos?

Jump to solution

This ruleset ended up working in my environment.  I'll upload it here if anyone wants to use it as a spring board for their own.  I didn't extensiviely test these rules, but was able to allow/block embedded videos based on who uploaded them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: possible to Allow/Block by YouTube uploader for embedded videos?

Jump to solution

This ruleset ended up working in my environment.  I'll upload it here if anyone wants to use it as a spring board for their own.  I didn't extensiviely test these rules, but was able to allow/block embedded videos based on who uploaded them.

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community