cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hpsof
Level 7

monitis agent over proxy (McAfee Web Gateway 7.6.1.2.0.21212)

Jump to solution

since years we use monitis agent on linux.

shortly we got a proxy-server to route outgoing traffic from our servers to monitis-servers (agent1.monitoringnet.com agent2.monitoringnet.com).

what we have now (monitis-agent on linux 64bit, agent version 4.02.65).

• tomcat monitor is working fine over McAfee Web Gateway 7.6.1.2.0.21212, we get data in our dashboard on monitis.
  • process/server-monitors (cpu and process-java) have troubles (ERROR: ssu_receive_response: select: Connection timed out. | Unable to establish connection to the server.).

monits-support cannot tell, whats wrong (i.e. the say this is your proxy) but neither can explain why one monitor (tomcat) works fine while the others do not...

? has anyone experience with a similar setup  too?

at the moment we do not have access to ops-people (log of proxy, configuration)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asabban
Level 17

Re: monitis agent over proxy (McAfee Web Gateway 7.6.1.2.0.21212)

Jump to solution

Hello,

I quickly registered at Monitos and tested it in my lab. I was able to see the same kind of error messages, although it seemed most things were working fine. I think this is related to SSL inspection. I added agent1.monitoringnet.com and agent2.monitoringnet.com into the "Tunneled Hosts" list to avoid MWG decrypting the traffic. By doing to the error messages disappeared.

Best,

Andre

4 Replies
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Hello,

I quickly registered at Monitos and tested it in my lab. I was able to see the same kind of error messages, although it seemed most things were working fine. I think this is related to SSL inspection. I added agent1.monitoringnet.com and agent2.monitoringnet.com into the "Tunneled Hosts" list to avoid MWG decrypting the traffic. By doing to the error messages disappeared.

Best,

Andre

hpsof
Level 7

Jump to solution

thanks andre for your quick response and your effort testing this on your part. tomorrow i have a meeting with ops-person of web gw and i ask him to do same as you: add the two monitis-hosts to the "tunneled hosts" list (guess the person is able to find this somewhere in the configuration jungle... )

0 Kudos
hpsof
Level 7

Jump to solution

andre: could contact ops-guy. he added the hosts and voila - it works

up to this the data within the red frame (cpu-monitor, java-process monitor) on screen-shot was empty ("nothing to display")  - now it is OK

thanks a lot!

2016-06-07_155745.png

0 Kudos
asabban
Level 17

Jump to solution

Cool, thank you for the feedback!

Best,

Andre

0 Kudos